cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unix commands for OS versions

Good day,

Could you please kindly advise as to which commands are ran in Unix systems for getting the OS version.

Thanks

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I don't know of any comprehensive reference that specifies this information, and the exact place that version information is obtained from on Unix-like operating systems varies widely by operating system.

As one example I do know: OS version information on Linux is obtained from the /etc/os-release file, or by running /usr/bin/lsb_release.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

I don't know of any comprehensive reference that specifies this information, and the exact place that version information is obtained from on Unix-like operating systems varies widely by operating system.

As one example I do know: OS version information on Linux is obtained from the /etc/os-release file, or by running /usr/bin/lsb_release.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

You may also find this technote helpful:

Inventory Agent (ndtrack.sh) on non-Windows machines

--Mark