cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PowerShell error when upgrading to 2020 R2 "Access to Message Queuing system is denied."

I am completing the configure part of the upgrade and getting error related to MSMQ. I have also raised a case.

Running ".\Config.ps1 "Config\FNMS Windows Authentication Config.xml" updateconfig"

Getting error:

Completed step Configure BusinessReportingAuthentication virtual directory.

Executing step Create MSMQ queues.
MSMQ is already installed
MSMQ-Services is already installed
MSMQ-Server is already installed
Queue exists but its transactional state () is different to the expected (True). The queue will be recreated.
ExecuteCustomScripts : System.Management.Automation.MethodInvocationException: Exception calling "Delete" with "1" argument(s): "Access to Message Queuing system is denied." ---> System.Messaging.MessageQueueException: Access to Message
Queuing system is denied.
at System.Messaging.MessageQueue.Delete(String path)
at CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , Object , String )
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.Management.Automation.ExceptionHandlingOps.CheckActionPreference(FunctionContext funcContext, Exception exception)
at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.ActionCallInstruction`2.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.EnterTryCatchFinallyInstruction.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.EnterTryCatchFinallyInstruction.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.Interpreter.Run(InterpretedFrame frame)
at System.Management.Automation.Interpreter.LightLambda.RunVoid1[T0](T0 arg0)
at System.Management.Automation.PSScriptCmdlet.RunClause(Action`1 clause, Object dollarUnderbar, Object inputToProcess)
at System.Management.Automation.PSScriptCmdlet.DoEndProcessing()
at System.Management.Automation.CommandProcessorBase.Complete()
At C:\temp\FNMSDownloads\FNMS 2020 R2\FlexNet Manager Suite\support\ConfigHelper.ps1:1146 char:11
+ $ret = ExecuteCustomScripts $configMode $serverStep
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,ExecuteCustomScripts

(1) Solution
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

It sounds like the message queues might have been created with another user. The FNMS config script sets the service account as "Full Control". Please check the queues in Computer Management and see if you can change the user permissions.

Adding permission afterwards can be tricky (if your current account doesn't have rights). Maybe uninstalling the message queuing from the server does the trick? The script should automatically re-install the feature.

Best regards,

Markward

View solution in original post

(3) Replies
mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Hi,

It sounds like the message queues might have been created with another user. The FNMS config script sets the service account as "Full Control". Please check the queues in Computer Management and see if you can change the user permissions.

Adding permission afterwards can be tricky (if your current account doesn't have rights). Maybe uninstalling the message queuing from the server does the trick? The script should automatically re-install the feature.

Best regards,

Markward

I had to delete the queue files from C:\Windows\System32\msmq\storage\lqs
I then reran the script, this time it recreated the queues but failed. I reran the script again and it worked.
ImIronMan
By Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

@GopalRaghvani 

I agree with @mfranz , either your service account should have Full Control/Access to MSMQ

or uninstall  the MSMQ by browsing > Server Manager > Manage > Remove roles or features

Then re-run power shell scripts, it should create MSMQ without any errors