cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post upgrade of FNMS, FlexNet Beacon connection fails

Hi All,

We upgrade the FNMS from 2019 to 2022 R2, FlexNet Beacon connection with Application Server failed with the following message

FNMP connection failed: Test connection failed (An error occurered while sending the request).
- Test connection failed (An error occured while sending the request)
- An error occured while sending the request.
- The remote name could not resolved:'prdkvdcprx01'

SenthilNathan_0-1686558731861.png

2023-06-09 17:28:59,011 [Scheduler.ScheduledJob| status] [INFO ] Executing job: status
2023-06-09 17:28:59,042 [llers.BeaconController| status] [INFO ] Scheduled job triggered: report-status.
2023-06-09 17:28:59,073 [llers.ReportController| status] [INFO ] Running job to report current beacon status.
2023-06-09 17:28:59,089 [llers.ReportController| status] [INFO ] Flushing latest beacon status to disk.
2023-06-09 17:29:40,059 [mmon.BeaconPolicyCache| Async] [INFO ] Loading beacon policy from 'C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Beacon\BeaconPolicy.xml'
2023-06-09 17:29:40,106 [mmon.BeaconPolicyCache| Async] [INFO ] Certificate configurations not found.
2023-06-09 17:29:40,137 [Services.PolicyService| Async] [INFO ] .Net framework present: .NET Framework 4.7.2 or later
2023-06-09 17:29:44,747 [Services.PolicyService| Async] [INFO ] TLS version used:
2023-06-09 17:29:44,762 [ort.Rules.PolicyClient| Async] [INFO ] Downloading rules using URI 'https://prditamapp01.bankislam.com.my/inventory-beacons/api/policy/?BeaconUID={DE1F68F6-9696-4866-B7CC-79B11C115EED}'.
2023-06-09 17:29:47,075 [ort.Rules.PolicyClient| Async] [ERROR] Downloading rules failed with message: An error occurred while sending the request..
2023-06-09 17:29:47,090 [Services.PolicyService| Async] [ERROR] Failed to download policy.
Flexera.SaaS.Transport.Core.ComplianceApiFatalException: Download failed for item https://prditamapp01.bankislam.com.my/inventory-beacons/api/policy/?BeaconUID={DE1F68F6-9696-4866-B7CC-79B11C115EED} (An error occurred while sending the request.) ---> System.Net.Http.HttpRequestException: An error occurred while sending the request. ---> System.Net.WebException: The remote name could not be resolved: 'prdkvdcprx01'
at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
at System.Net.Http.HttpClientHandler.GetResponseCallback(IAsyncResult ar)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Flexera.SaaS.Transport.Rules.PolicyClient.DownloadPolicy(String currentVersion, String inventorySettingsRevision)
at Flexera.Beacon.Engine.Services.PolicyService.GetPolicyFromServer(Int32 currentRevisionNumber, String inventorySettingsRevision)
at Flexera.Beacon.Engine.Services.PolicyService.UpdatePolicy(IActivityLogger activityLogger)
2023-06-09 17:29:47,137 [llers.PolicyController| Async] [INFO ] No upgrade of the beacon is required. Current version: '19.0.0.11'

Attached the log file for reference

Regards

SenthilNathan D

(2) Solutions

Your combined beacon/application server is prditamapp01.bankislam.com.my but your error message references something else called prdkvdcprx01.

Is prdkvdcprx01 a proxy server? Is your method of getting out onto the Internet working properly? Since the beacon and app server are the same machine (which is not recommended at pointed out above), can you bypass use of the proxy server?

--Mark

View solution in original post

Proxy settings are configured in the Network & Internet Windows settings:image.png

There might be proxy settings specific to FlexNet Manager Suite components configured in the registry under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ManageSoft Corp\ManageSoft - search for "proxy" under there. However in this particular case I don't think any settings there would be specifically related to the reference to the prdkvdcprx01 host that you are seeing.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(17) Replies

Check the connectivity on port 443 from beacon to application. Also check if you are able to ping your application URL from beacon server. 

if above are fine. Reboot your beacon & test

@durgeshsingh : both beacon and application are on the same server.  We already restarted the server few times.

Its not recommended to use becon in application server.

The client has been using this set-up for the last 4 years, hence technically it was not an issue.

It does not matter that it was working with old version. Every new upgrade takes its own functionality & new feature , which can always impact . Flexera never recommend to do this kind of configuration.

Best to create a new server & deploy beacon. Don't try workaround things. If you professional support with flexera. You may discuss with them. I am sure they will also tell the same.

What changes did you make to resolve the issue?

Did you register your beacon properly  (under services )?

Second  check local web server 

one more thing , can you confirm the initial test will connect or not? If its not, mean your beacon fail to talk with application server. 

Hi @SinghJ : Beacon was working fine before the upgrade, however, the issue started after the upgrade.

For this setup, we are using IIS as a web server.

The initial test succeeded however connection failed.  Hence we tried the manual configuration test with Service Account credentials.

1.On the reporting endpoint screen server and suite path is same as your app server name ?

2. Under services FNexNet Beacon Engine is config (this account) with service account username and password

3. Parent connection of Beacon , enable parent connection is checked and when you click Test connection Server URL is correct ?

4. After test you get 

connection to parent inventory beacon ... succeeded

connection to the parent download URL .. Failed

Connection to the parent Upload URL .. Failed

5. after clicking Download the Beacon configuration, a page appear with user id.

you have to leave parent beacon name blank

unique id : already there

name : u have to give beacon name than download. 

Now upload and you see the page u mention in your first comment.

@SinghJ : please refer to my inline comments

1.On the reporting endpoint screen server and suite path is same as your app server name ?

Not sure I understood your question.  Both Application & Beacon server is on the same server, hence URL will be the same.

2. Under services FNexNet Beacon Engine is config (this account) with service account username and password

Yes, we already tried the SYSTEM ACCOUNT and then the SERVICE ACCOUNT with Username & Password.

3. Parent connection of Beacon , enable parent connection is checked and when you click Test connection Server URL is correct ?

Yes, ENABLE PARENT CONNECTION IS CHECKED, you can see in the screenshot

4. After test you get 

connection to parent inventory beacon ... succeeded

FAILED

connection to the parent download URL .. Failed

FAILED

Connection to the parent Upload URL .. Failed

FAILED

5. after clicking Download the Beacon configuration, a page appear with user id.

you have to leave parent beacon name blank

unique id : already there

name : u have to give beacon name than download. 

Now upload and you see the page u mention in your first comment.

We used the existing Beacon configuration file and uploaded it.  Then it prompted to enter the credentials manually - SERVICE ACCOUNT & PASSWORD.

Your combined beacon/application server is prditamapp01.bankislam.com.my but your error message references something else called prdkvdcprx01.

Is prdkvdcprx01 a proxy server? Is your method of getting out onto the Internet working properly? Since the beacon and app server are the same machine (which is not recommended at pointed out above), can you bypass use of the proxy server?

--Mark

Yes, combined Beacon/application server is on prditamapp01.bankislam.com.my.  but your error message references something else called prdkvdcprx01.

Please note, this is an isolated system, it is not connected to the internet to connect to the external system.

Do you mean the proxy bypass configuration in the registry? please share the configuration.

Proxy settings are configured in the Network & Internet Windows settings:image.png

There might be proxy settings specific to FlexNet Manager Suite components configured in the registry under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ManageSoft Corp\ManageSoft - search for "proxy" under there. However in this particular case I don't think any settings there would be specifically related to the reference to the prdkvdcprx01 host that you are seeing.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

@ChrisG :  do you mean this - HKLM\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ManageSoft Corp\ManageSoft > HTTPS_PROXY = <Proxy Server info> ? But this is required if we are connecting over the internet or do we need for internal as well?

Yes, registry entries named like that can configure proxy details used by some beacon (and agent) components. These entries might be configured if connections to a parent beacon must go through a proxy. (Whether communication is traversing the public Internet does not determine whether communication through a proxy is required - that is determined based on your network.)

However as I said, I don't think these registry settings will be related to the particular issue you are facing. If you have a proxy configuration issue, the proxy details will likely be visible in the Network & Internet Windows settings.

@ChrisG : the issue is resolved after the PROXY setting is disabled.

thanks