cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oracle Provider for OLE DB - commercial?

Hi, 

In the first half of December (2021), Oracle Provider for OLE DB appeared and was classified as Commercial. 
I have checked all the links in all the applications and I don't find anything pointing me at how to license it. (The fact that a piece of software is included in a download does not guarantee that it is licensed by that product. 

We have also searched the internet in general, Oracles global pricelist etc. without finding any trace of this as a product.   

I would really appreciate if anyone could share what product it is licensed under and if not, the rationale behind classifying it as commercial. 

(1) Solution
shuduguru
By Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Classification of "Oracle Provider for OLE DB" is changed to component in ARL. These changes will be part of upcoming ARL release 21st January 2022. 

View solution in original post

(5) Replies
shuduguru
By Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Classification of "Oracle Provider for OLE DB" is changed to component in ARL. These changes will be part of upcoming ARL release 21st January 2022. 

Thank you for the answer. That is good news, sort of...

Is there anywhere we can find information about things like this before we spend time and bother colleagues trying to find out if the publisher has changed their terms?

Best way for request and error in ARL is to open a case, with content request as product.

Flexera Content Team is reactive on error, like thise one.

Regards

Hi,

A couple of days ago I have opened a ticket for the same reason (I missed this post).

What I have found is that Oracle Provider for OLE DB is part of ODAC.

ODAC is not a product, it's a collection of tools/drivers used for developing Oracle database applications, etc.

When you try to download ODAC (https://www.oracle.com/ro/database/technologies/odac-downloads.html ) , you are asked to accept the Oracle Technology Network License Agreement. (and you can see in which conditions you can use the product for free)

Couldn’t find anywhere what happens in case you “breach” this agreement. There is no price list or examples on how they charge you.

My personal conclusion is that everything is on a grey area.

Yes, it is indeed in the grey zone - together with quite a few other pieces of software from that company 😕

I posted this only a couple of days ago so we were probably taking action more or less simultaneously.