cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Than One Install Command For Linux X86_64?

Hi all ...

I'll preface this with "I'm not a Linux guy".

The Flexera documentation lists this as the installation command:

rpm --upgrade --oldpackage --verbose managesoft-[VERSION]-1.x86_64.rpm

However, I've seen several forum postings where this command was used instead:

rpm -i /var/tmp/managesoft-[VERSION]-1.x86_64.rpm

Some use -ivh as the argument to the rpm command instead of -i.

Are these two equivalent?

(1) Solution
ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

For installing the agent, there is likely not much difference in the semantics of the different options you're referring to here that will have a material effect on the operation.

Check out the rpm(8) man page to understand what the various command line options mean.

Here are the descriptions of the various options you have noted:

• --install or -i: This installs a new package.
  • --upgrade or -U: This upgrades or installs the package currently installed to a newer version.
  • --oldpackage: Allow an upgrade to replace a newer package with an older one.
  • --verbose or -v: Print verbose information - normally routine progress messages will be displayed.
  • --hash or -h: Print 50 hash marks as the package archive is unpacked. Use with -v|--verbose for a nicer display.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(3) Replies

Hi

rpm -ivh /var/tmp/Managesoftpkg.rpm 

where i stand for install

v stand for verify

h stand for hash

this is most used command line to install agent. 

My question may not have been clear.

Are 

rpm --upgrade --oldpackage --verbose managesoft-[VERSION]-1.x86_64.rpm

... and ...

rpm -i /var/tmp/managesoft-[VERSION]-1.x86_64.rpm

equivalent?

ChrisG
By Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

For installing the agent, there is likely not much difference in the semantics of the different options you're referring to here that will have a material effect on the operation.

Check out the rpm(8) man page to understand what the various command line options mean.

Here are the descriptions of the various options you have noted:

• --install or -i: This installs a new package.
  • --upgrade or -U: This upgrades or installs the package currently installed to a newer version.
  • --oldpackage: Allow an upgrade to replace a newer package with an older one.
  • --verbose or -v: Print verbose information - normally routine progress messages will be displayed.
  • --hash or -h: Print 50 hash marks as the package archive is unpacked. Use with -v|--verbose for a nicer display.
(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)