cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kubernetes agent .ndi files are into application server badlog folder and not uploading

The files transferred from the beacon are not showing in the UI, upon checking the application server inventories folders these files are staying in the inventories>Badlogs>failure  

as per this article I have disabled the import inventories scheduler task and triggered the mgsimport.exe -t inventories and still it did not clear the files and getting the error message as Version string portion was too short or too long.  

I also tried to rename the .ndi file to a shorter name and tried running the command and still its not getting uploaded and the files are again moved to  inventories>Badlogs>failure folder

(1) Solution

Yes, any Kubernetes agents which are generating NDI files with the value "unknown" as the agent version will not be reported by FlexNet Manager Suite/Flexera One ITAM.

For reference, here is a recently posted known issue article about the issue discussed in this thread: NDI files from the Kubernetes inventory agent may fail to import due to the word "unknown" appearing as the agent version (IOJ-2215285)

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

View solution in original post

(12) Replies
tjohnson1
By Technical Writer
Technical Writer
If you open the NDI there will be a line at the beginning of the file that tells you the version of the agent that created the file.

Inventory Tracker=

Do your files say unknown or show a version? If it says unknown, please change it to the agent version like 17.0 and then it should import.

@tjohnson1  thanks for your reply it shows unknow and we are using FNMS 2021 R1 should I change Inventory Tracker= 2021 R1 ?

Also all the ndi files from kubernetes are adding into badlogs so I cannot change everything manually, what other options do we have

it did not accept 2021 R1 it only accepted 17.0, please suggest how I can make these changes for all the files, doing it manually is not possible

I think an updated Kubernetes agent version may be required to avoid this issue if it is affecting you.

If you are using Flexera One ITAM, you can use the latest agent version available from there.

If you are using FlexNet Manager Suite On-premises, you'll probably need to contact Flexera to discuss when an update with a fix will be available.

(Did my reply solve the question? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" to help others find answers faster. Liked something? Click "KUDO". Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera.)

@ChrisG  thanks for your reply, we are using flexera on-premise 2021 R1 and we are using the latest  agent available in the UI, the kubernetes agent used is 1.21.7 I have already raised a support case for this and awaiting for reply.

one more question is that why is the UI showing a different name and not showing the name as ndi. Also how do I know to which cluster this is reporting and mapped. 

@ChrisG I have got the below reply from support team

Thanks for sending in those NDI files, it does appear that they are showing as unknown, which is the known bug. I have requested a hotfix for 2021 R1 on prem, and will get back to you once I have one.

this means even flexera agents are installed in the kubernetes environment it will not report to flexera ?

Yes, any Kubernetes agents which are generating NDI files with the value "unknown" as the agent version will not be reported by FlexNet Manager Suite/Flexera One ITAM.

For reference, here is a recently posted known issue article about the issue discussed in this thread: NDI files from the Kubernetes inventory agent may fail to import due to the word "unknown" appearing as the agent version (IOJ-2215285)

@ChrisG  we are using 2021 R1 if we use 2022 R1 kubernetes agent with 2021 R1 application will it report ? if yes where can I find the latest updated agents, I could not find the latest file under product and license centre.

I believe using the Kubernetes agent from the 2022 R1 release should be fine with 2021 R1 servers.

Can you get the agent .tar.gz from the FlexNet Manager Suite Installer 2022 R1\FlexNet Manager Suite\Installers\Inventory Agent\Kubernetes once you have downloaded and extracted the FlexNet Manager Suite Installer 2022 R1.zip file from the Product and License Center. If you do not see this version available for download then you may not have a current entitlement associated with your account - you can contact your Flexera account manager or Support to check that.

@ChrisG  thanks for your reply.

Using 2021 R1 application server and 2022 R1 Kubernetes agent will cover all the features mentioned in this product document page or it requires update from both the ends.

https://docs.flexera.com/FlexNetManagerSuite2022R1/EN/Features/index.html#FeatureList/2021R1-4/RN-chg-K8sUpdates.html

@ChrisG  I tried extracting the latest agent from the product and license page and installed in the aks containers, one after installing the monitor pod and the instance pods are going into error and CrashLoopBackoff status is it something we are doing it incorrectly, please guide.

In the same machine when I use the older version of kubernetes agent it works as expected. 

Status.png

mfranz
By Level 17 Champion
Level 17 Champion

Did you try running mgsimport.exe with the -e option for additional error messages?