cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prepare a vCenter user with the right Roles&Rights for VMware inventory via FNMS Beacon?

Hello Community, I'm not familiar with the vCenter rights and roles logic. But I want to support my customer with a little docu or manual, so he should be able to prepare a vCenter User with the right rights and roles . This vCenter user should be placed in the Inventory Beacon and should be able to inventory the VMWare infrastructure and applications from the vCenter. Do we have such a hand sheet ? Or which vCenter rights and roles are necessary for my purpose?  Regards, Mathias

(2) Solutions

Read-only access to all vCenter objects is sufficient.

The vCenter credentials should also be placed in the Inventory Beacon's password store.

View solution in original post

@MWuendisch , there is an additional right required if the customer wants to also see Vmware keys in the 'Vmware Inventory' report.

Add the 'Licensing' role to the service account.

If you don't do this the license key are hashed out in the report.

j

View solution in original post

(4) Replies

Read-only access to all vCenter objects is sufficient.

The vCenter credentials should also be placed in the Inventory Beacon's password store.

@MWuendisch , there is an additional right required if the customer wants to also see Vmware keys in the 'Vmware Inventory' report.

Add the 'Licensing' role to the service account.

If you don't do this the license key are hashed out in the report.

j

Just had a query, if the security team decide to make the User to Non-Interactive Login then how does it impact the vcenter scanning or it doesnt impact?

@anikets 

I wouldn't expect that to make a difference from the beacon's point of view as according to VMware documentation it shouldn't matter when reading the vCenter information. (It may make it a bit harder to troubleshoot though as you wouldn't be able to manually test the authentication from a browser...)

Thanks,