cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flexnet Beacon not launching after upgrading FNMS to 2022R2 from 2020R2

when I try to launch the FlexNet Beacon following message appears -" An upgrade of the Inventory Beacon Software is in progress. Please wait until the upgrade is complete and try again later."

(10) Replies
jevans
By Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Good afternoon Avisekh,

When you upgrade your FNMS environment, one of the processes is your Beacons should automatically upgrade.
When your Beacon next checks for policy, it should note a new version is available, download the relevant MSI, and run it with MSIEXEC.
You should see a FlexNet Beacon.MSI.LOG (or two, I believe there's one for Uninstall and one for Reinstall) written to C:\Windows\Temp.
Can you confirm if that file exists, and whether there's any errors thrown in it?

If not, try looking at the Event Viewer's Windows > Application log for any errors thrown by MSI.

Best regards,
Jack

Hello Jack,

In Windows event viewer logs i see the below under General tab:

Faulting application name: BeaconInstaller19.0.0.11.exe, version: 19.0.11.0, time stamp: 0x53723dd9
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.20718, time stamp: 0x636f3368
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000418ee
Faulting process id: 0x1c0c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d96ed10826c8a0
Faulting application path: C:\ProgramData\Flexera Software\Staging\Common\Packages\Flexera\Upgrade\19.0.0\Rev1.0\Flexera Inventory Beacon Upgrade\BeaconInstaller19.0.0.11.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 56b8043f-dac4-11ed-814d-d69a81dd3071
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

This message shows up in event viewer logs : Product: FlexNet Beacon -- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 Full package or greater needs to be installed for this installation to continue

@avisekh_yadav 

Yes, unless you install .NET Framework 4.7.2 or later beacon will not complete the upgrade process.

After installing .NET Framework 4.7.2 beacon was launched but while testing connection, I am getting 503 service unavailable while connecting to the parent upload URL

@avisekh_yadav 

Can you check once TLS setting in registry once and also try to redownlaod the configuration.

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols

Also attach Beaconengine.log

Thanks,

Milind

Hello Milind,

Attaching the beacon engine log and screen shot of the registry location.

Can you check once protocol on application server as well on below path. 

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders\SCHANNEL\Protocols

Also, did you tried to download the configuration and Import it again on beacon server?

The issue is now resolved. The service account name in one of the IIS service was incorrect. After correcting the same, the policy got updated successfully and 503 service unavailable error was also fixed.

Hi Avisekh,

I have seen the automatic update process of the Beacon hanging quite often. A possible reason for blocking the process is that more than one Windows user is logged into the Beacon using Remote Desktop, and at least one account has the Beacon configuration UI open.

To enforce the update of the beacon software, you can generally run the Beacon installer manually.