cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EC2 Instances Not Showing in Inventory

Summary

• We have an on prem Beacon server, hundreds of on prem assets in inventory, and recently spun up a few EC2s in AWS. We are actively trying to get the EC2s to populate in Flexera Inventory.

Steps Taken

• Allowed traffic to the on prem Beacon server over port 443 from our AWS account, validated traffic is allowed via using telnet to Beacon Server URL from the EC2 instance.
  • Ran the same silent installation PowerShell script that we use for on prem assets against the EC2 Instances.
  • After installation reviewed the logs @ %temp%\ManageSoft. Log error:
    • [2/9/2023 3:24:46 PM (G, 0)] {1756}   Download failure: The revocation function was unable to check revocation because the revocation server was offline.
      [2/9/2023 3:24:48 PM (U, 0)] {1756} ERROR: Error (s107m858)
      [2/9/2023 3:24:48 PM (U, 0)] {1756} ----------------
      [2/9/2023 3:24:48 PM (U, 0)] {1756} The following network error occurred while retrieving the application:
    • Validated that I could use the Invoke-WebRequest PS cmdlet against the full Beacon Server Download URL, without any errors.

I am a Flexera rookie. I don't believe this is an issue with traffic being blocked; after validating that I could manually do a web request against the full download URL. However, the installation / policy logs state otherwise. Any Ideas are appreciated. Thank you!

(1) Solution
dbeckner
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

@ellisbw Thanks for providing a thorough background on the steps you've taken. This error typically means the traffic from your endpoints to the certificate revocation server that handles the CRL is being blocked. You need to look into the properties of the certificate securing your beacon traffic and find the url of the revocation server. Then you need to work with your network team to allow traffic from your endpoints to that server. Alternatively you can take the less secure approach and disable certificate revocation checks on the agents and beacons. 

Here is an article discussing the error you're seeing.

FlexNet Inventory Agent - 'The revocation function was unable to check revocation because the revocation server was offline.' 

View solution in original post

(1) Reply
dbeckner
By Level 10 Champion
Level 10 Champion

@ellisbw Thanks for providing a thorough background on the steps you've taken. This error typically means the traffic from your endpoints to the certificate revocation server that handles the CRL is being blocked. You need to look into the properties of the certificate securing your beacon traffic and find the url of the revocation server. Then you need to work with your network team to allow traffic from your endpoints to that server. Alternatively you can take the less secure approach and disable certificate revocation checks on the agents and beacons. 

Here is an article discussing the error you're seeing.

FlexNet Inventory Agent - 'The revocation function was unable to check revocation because the revocation server was offline.'