cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beacon and Inventory Configuration

How can you determine the current configuration of the Inventory Beacon's

The current site does not have a parent child relationship. They have 2 independent beacons with different subnets on both.

Currently I do not see any data being gathered by beacon 2. When you have 2 separate beacons are there 2 different agent files that are deployed?

Do you have to include something different in each beacon configuration? Where would be the best place to start to determine how it should be setup?

(1) Solution
JJacildo
By Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Hello @bottsrm , just to clarify from you, are you looking to load balance the amount of FlexNet Inventory Agents reporting to each FlexNet Inventory Beacons?

If so, you might find the following documentation about Inventory Grouping helpful for your use case:
https://docs.flexera.com/fnms/EN/WebHelp/index.html#tasks/InvSet-InventoryGroupSettings.html

I hope that helps

View solution in original post

(3) Replies

If you mean that agent inventory is being uploaded through Beacon 1 but not Beacon 2, that is entirely possible.  Just before an agent uploads inventory, it looks at all of the beacons that are available to it and determines which one it will use to upload inventory.  There are several algorithms that are used to determine the "best" beacon.  It is entirely possible that beacon 1 has a faster ping response time and all your agents are choosing beacon 1 as a result.

There is only one agent to deploy; there aren't separate agents for each beacon.  If you take a look at the tracker.log file from some of your devices, you can see the beacon selection process and the decision the agent made.

If you're referring to a Discovery & Inventory rule, where one beacon collects data and the other doesn't, that depends on the subnets you assigned to each beacon.  If a device is in a subnet the beacon is assigned to, the rule will consider that device; otherwise, the device is ignored.

Hope that helps ...

--Mark

They are not using any rules except for VMware.  The configuration I was told was for load balancing but only 1 beacon is gathering data. Each beacon has a different set of subnets so only the subnets on beacon 1 are reporting. I read that if you have 2 beacons and one is supposed to be a failover then in IIS you make managesoftDL and Managesoft RL Anonymous Authentication. But if you don't then you make managesoftDL  Anonymous Authentication and ManagesoftRL as basic Authentication.

JJacildo
By Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Hello @bottsrm , just to clarify from you, are you looking to load balance the amount of FlexNet Inventory Agents reporting to each FlexNet Inventory Beacons?

If so, you might find the following documentation about Inventory Grouping helpful for your use case:
https://docs.flexera.com/fnms/EN/WebHelp/index.html#tasks/InvSet-InventoryGroupSettings.html

I hope that helps