cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tanushree
Level 5

local license server database backup

Hi, 

How can we backup and restore the licenses for a License Server in an offline model?

The requirement is : We have few activated licenses on the offline License Server, then we have upgraded the License Server. Now we should see the previously activated licenses as it is.

Thanks and Regards,

Tanushree Chauhan

(7) Replies
jberthold
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hi @Tanushree ,

Please refer to the "Trusted Storage Backup and Restoration" section of the License Server Producer Guide for details:

2020-12-21_21-40-32.jpg

Best regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
veena_Ped
Level 2

Hello Jim,

We are using flexnetls 2021.12 version and followed below steps for backup and restore. Even though we got the message "Database Restored" we couldn't find required details. please confirm if any steps missed.

1. Activated licenses with 2 feature in offline mode using request and response files.

2. Flexnetlsadmin -features showed the activated ID with 2 count.

3. Stopped the service, took back up of *.ts file, restarted the service.

4. Ran activation command with count as 0.

5. Stopped the service and ran restore command pointing to the *.ts file which was backed up in step 3.

6. Restored Database message was displayed but Flexnetlsadmin -features showed the NO activated ID.

Thanks and regards,

Veena.

0 Kudos
jberthold
Revenera Moderator

Hi @veena_Ped ,

Is your license server enabled for trusted storage backups?  You can restore trusted storage from a backup copy only if the producer has enabled trusted-storage backups to
occur on the license server.

The license server needs to have the database.backup-enabled policy set to true in producer-settings.xml.  Default value is false.

Thanks,
Jim

0 Kudos

Hello Jim,

Thanks for quick response, yes "database.backup-enabled=true" in the producer-settings file. Also, we have "flexnetls_licenses.mv.db.ts" file getting generated at "tsBackup" folder. 

Thanks and regards,

Veena Pednekar.

0 Kudos
jberthold
Revenera Moderator

Thanks, please submit a ticket so someone can work directly with you.

Best regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
ThomasHP
Level 2

Hi @jberthold ,

can you describe in detail which conditions have to be met for the restoration process?

I managed to restore the FlexNet Embedded Local License Server (2022.10), but found it kind of hacky.

Situation:

• Ubuntu 20.04 with FNE LLS 2022.10, installed natively from my personal user account via install-systemd.sh without additional arguments (such as --user or --group)
  • The default installation thus created a service running with a (new) user flexnetls
  • producer settings with database.backup-enabled=true
  • flexnetls binary from the server directory needs to be used to do the restore

What I did:

• copy the flexnetls binary from the server directory to a location that user flexnetls  can access, changing file ownership accordingly, e.g. /home/flexnetls/server_202210
  • add my user to flexnetls group (in hindsight, this was probably unnecessary)
  • execute the restore command as user flexnetls from my own user via
    sudo pkexec --user flexnetls /home/flexnetls/server_202210/server/flexnetls -restore-database /var/opt/flexnetls/<producer>/tsBackup/flexnetls_licenses.mv.db.ts
    • this finally worked
  • After I worked out the above solution, I wanted to understand why things are so complicated. Therefore, I re-installed the whole server, this time using --user and --group arguments for the install-systemd.sh with my private account
    • running the restoration command via pkexec as flexnetls now returns an IO Exception due to permission denied, which is ok.
    • running the restoration command natively now works like this
      ./flexnetls -restore-database /var/opt/flexnetls/<producer>/tsBackup/flexnetls_licenses.mv.db.ts

Questions:

• Is this really the intended way of using the restoration when the server has been installed for/with user flexnetls? I found it really hard to figure out that I need to do everything as the correct user and could not just use sudo from my own user account.
  • Is there any documentation how to correctly do this in my specific situation?
  • Why does the installation default to user flexnetls instead of the user performing the installation? Isn't it likely that this particular person will also administer the server?
  • During restoration, I get a bash output

./flexnetls: line 673: /etc/init.d/functions: No such file or directory

Any hints on that?

Looking forward to hearing from you and thank you in advance!

Best regards,

Thomas

P.S: Sorry for digging out a 2 year old thread. I found this a pretty good match and thought this will make future searches easier.

0 Kudos
jberthold
Revenera Moderator

Hi @ThomasHP ,

Please submit a support ticket so someone can work with you directly.

Thanks,

Jim

0 Kudos