cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approval email with buttons

Currently, we have a workflow when a user requests AppA, I get an email from the shopping Portal to approve
a. Would it be possible for the workflow to send an email to the requestor telling them about optional software AppB instead and provide a link to additional info and training?
b. On the email, could there be a button for Accept and Reject
i. If the user selects Accept, the shopping request is closed and the user is assigned AppB
ii. If the user selects Reject, the request goes for Approval

(1) Solution

I suspect you could probably figure out a way to do this, but not without a fair amount of difficulty.  Instead, have you considered using the other features that are built into App Broker that already provide functionality to solve this use case?

App Broker provides the ability to define "Alternates".  This serves a few purposes.  First, when browsing the catalog, users will see an icon indicating there are alternatives available.

Alternates AvailableAlternates Available

If the user clicks the icon, it will bring up a pop-up dialog showing them the available alternate products.  From there, the user can choose whether to select an alternate product or close the dialog and select the original product.

Second, when combined with the new "Catalog Classification" feature, you can add a classification to each catalog item to indicate if it is a "preferred" or "non-preferred" product.  If the selected classification is of a "non-preferred" type, you have the option to present a pop-up dialog when the user attempts to add it to their cart.  The text in this pop-up can be customized to explain that there are alternative products available that provide the same functionality and are preferred by your organization.  If the alternates have been associated to the catalog item, there will also be a "Choose Alternate" button they can click to choose an alternate product.  This button works the same way as the icon mentioned above.  If the user decides they still want the original product, they can click the "Override" button to add it to their cart.

Preferred vs. Non-Preferred Catalog ClassificationPreferred vs. Non-Preferred Catalog ClassificationNon-Preferred Product Pop-up MessageNon-Preferred Product Pop-up Message

Finally, if alternates have been added to a catalog item, during the approval workflow, an approver (with the right level of permissions) is able to see available alternatives and change the request to an alternate product.  This option is only available in the App Broker web UI and not via email-based approvals.

Choose Alternate Product During ApprovalChoose Alternate Product During Approval

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(1) Reply

I suspect you could probably figure out a way to do this, but not without a fair amount of difficulty.  Instead, have you considered using the other features that are built into App Broker that already provide functionality to solve this use case?

App Broker provides the ability to define "Alternates".  This serves a few purposes.  First, when browsing the catalog, users will see an icon indicating there are alternatives available.

Alternates AvailableAlternates Available

If the user clicks the icon, it will bring up a pop-up dialog showing them the available alternate products.  From there, the user can choose whether to select an alternate product or close the dialog and select the original product.

Second, when combined with the new "Catalog Classification" feature, you can add a classification to each catalog item to indicate if it is a "preferred" or "non-preferred" product.  If the selected classification is of a "non-preferred" type, you have the option to present a pop-up dialog when the user attempts to add it to their cart.  The text in this pop-up can be customized to explain that there are alternative products available that provide the same functionality and are preferred by your organization.  If the alternates have been associated to the catalog item, there will also be a "Choose Alternate" button they can click to choose an alternate product.  This button works the same way as the icon mentioned above.  If the user decides they still want the original product, they can click the "Override" button to add it to their cart.

Preferred vs. Non-Preferred Catalog ClassificationPreferred vs. Non-Preferred Catalog ClassificationNon-Preferred Product Pop-up MessageNon-Preferred Product Pop-up Message

Finally, if alternates have been added to a catalog item, during the approval workflow, an approver (with the right level of permissions) is able to see available alternatives and change the request to an alternate product.  This option is only available in the App Broker web UI and not via email-based approvals.

Choose Alternate Product During ApprovalChoose Alternate Product During Approval

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".