cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AppPortal - Failing to create new collections for new app's

Seems all of a sudden AppPortal is failing to create new collections fro new apps we build in app portal. I have already restarted the AppPortal server and the ESD iis site on the SCCM site server and still nothing. Devices are still being added to existing collections it seems, but the 2 new apps built in AppPortal are failing to create the collections. 

Device Collection App Portal SOFTWARE - Application Install (PS1) for Application created successfully

This log entry in the esdwebservice log repeats this over and over every half hour though.

(1) Solution

For those that are interested, it turns out that App Broker could not create new collections, as the collection name specified for the  "limiting collection for device" setting (under settings->deployment->Config Mgr) no longer existed. It had been renamed at some point. 

View solution in original post

(9) Replies
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

What do you see in the CreateESDObjects.log file on the App Broker server at approximately the same time as the esdwebservice.log entry? In addition, can you see anything in DatabaseCalls_error.log at approximately the same time? Normally, the entry "created successfully" in the esdwebservice.log file would be accurate, so I'm not sure what might be going on here.

I see no data entries in the DatabaseCalls_errors.log at the times of the previous messages in the esdwebservice.log. I do see lots of messages about connection timeouts, but as of right now there have been no entires in the dbcalls log in 3 days.

What about in the CreateESDObjects.log log file? Anything of apparent interest there? Also, not sure what the package ID is for this new catalog item, but can you look in the WD_siteToAdvert table to see if you have any values defined for the CollectionID and AdvertID columns, where PackageID is the package ID of your catalog item.  Also, do you see anything written to the Error column in this packageID?

I see in CreateESD log an error that says Could not create collection / advertisement on SITESERVER and in that table the 2 applications ive added last ahave the colection, advert, and creation date empty. The error that shows up is "package does not exist at site" . I know the application im deploying exists cause i can deploy them with manually created collections.

If I manually create the collection then the log shows success as does the database. so it seems it lost the ability to create the collections for some reason.

What is the exact name of the application as defined in Config Mgr? I seem to remember that there was an issue with applications containing "special" characters in their name. for instance, a single quote, etc. 

its just titled Axis. There are no special characters.

Thank. I've opened a support case in your name, and have requested the ESD Web Service and App Portal log files. I think that this issue is subtle enough that I'm going to have to go through some of the logs line-by-line. We might also jump on a call if necessary, depending upon what I find.  

For those that are interested, it turns out that App Broker could not create new collections, as the collection name specified for the  "limiting collection for device" setting (under settings->deployment->Config Mgr) no longer existed. It had been renamed at some point.