cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App portal upgrade steps

Hi Forum, we are using App portal 2019 R1 and planning to upgrade it to 2022 R1. Need steps and suggestions and best practices to be followed during the upgrade.

Our 2019R1 app server is on 2012 OS and we have built a new server with 2019 OS and IP. we will be using existing DB while we install App portal in 2019 OS server. I'm new to App portal and need suggestions on how this can be done without errors.

Do we have to run any DB migration scripts as we do during FNMS upgrade or will the AppPortalSetup_2022_R1.exe installation in application server take care of the DB migration, backup and  DB scripts?

Can i install latest version of app portal in the new server or 1st i have to install existing version of app portal in the new server and then check if it working good and then upgrade to latest version?

Please provide your thoughts and suggestion on this

Regards,

(2) Solutions
CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

If your DB server is not moving, this should be quite easy. One big advantage of standing up a new server is that you do not have to touch production until you are certain that App Broker is up and running on the new server.. Here is a brief overview of the steps you would likely need to take in a normal use case.. These assume that the DB server will not be changing:

1. Setup your new Windows 2019 Server, and install the roles and features documented in the App Broker installation guide. See the following: https://docs.flexera.com/appportal/2022r1/ig/Content/helplibrary/Enabling_Roles_and_Features_in_Windows_Server_2012_or_Later.htm#preparingtoinstall_2330745231_1088100

2. Run the App Broker installer on the new server (2019R1). The version that you install should be the same as the one running in production. During the installation, point the installer to the existing App Broker DB. 

3. Once installed, stop the ESD Service on the new server. We do not want the new server to be processing any requests until we decommission the old server. Only one ESD service should ever be running.

4. Copy the web/images and web/backgrounds folders from the old server to the new server. These folders contain images pertaining to catalog items, etc.. When prompted by windows if you want to overwrite the existing files of the same name, answer "no". That way, only the files that do not exist will be copied. Typically, it is just the images that need to be copied from one server to the other.. If you are using custom web services, reports, etc, then these would also need to be copied from one server to the other. Most don't use custom web services or reports, which is why I do not list this in the steps.

5. At this point, you can confirm that the new website is functional and that all images are rendering correctly in the web UI.

6. If everything appears to be functional in the new enviornment, then we can upgrade to 2022 R1. At this point, I typically recommend upgrading the ESD web service on the SCCM server to 2022 R1. Generally it is better to upgrade the ESD Web Service first.

7. Once you have upgraded the ESD Web Service, then run the 2022 R1 installer on your new server. This will install App Portal 2022 R1, in addition to upgrading the database schema (no need to manually run scripts.

8. Once App Portal 2022 R1 is installed,  you can stop the ESD Service on the old site, and start the ESD service on the new site. At this point, you can update your DNS alias(s) to point to the new App Broker server.

View solution in original post

Kevin,
     The steps should be similar if you are moving the DB as well. The important thing is that you limit the changes you make at any given time, and then verify.. If you were moving your DB server as well, then I might suggesting creating a backup of your original DB, and restoring that on your new server.. Once you have done this, you will need to update your existing production instance to use the restored DB.. You would need to change connection strings in the following 3 config files:

1. C:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\App Portal\Web\web.config (2 locations)
2. C:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\App Portal\Service\ESDService.exe.config (1 location)
3. C:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\App Portal\APM\web.config (2 locations)

In each file, search for the string "Data Source=".. To the right of the "=" sign specify the new DB server name. After making the changes, restart the ESD Service, and also perform an iisreset. Assuming that the existing production site functions normally after moving the DB, then you can proceed with the steps I outlined previously. 

View solution in original post

(7) Replies
Big_Kev
By Level 7 Champion
Level 7 Champion

Hello @winvarma_MCI 

By any chance you have reviewed this online help https://docs.flexera.com/appportal/2022r1/ig/Content/helplibrary/AP_MoveServer.htm#upgradingappportal_3395912261_1063969   ?  I think it address the server moving steps here as well as the most of chapter from the installation guide also covers the upgrade guide.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards

Kevin

Hello @CharlesW 

Pardon me to use this thread to ask a followed up question as the thread is quite new/recent. I have a similar scenario but not only moving AP server from old to new and need to do AP upgrade, But also the SQL server of AP DB need be moved to a new SQL server in Azure.  In that case could you please review and confirm based on your provided steps is there anything particularly needed in my scenario? 

I assume that after the customer DBA restored the old AP DB on the new SQL Server, then all the rest is handled by the 2022r1 Installer during the upgrade, In the middle of the wizard process we just need to input the new DB name , is that 'all' to cater for the DB Server change scenario?  My faded memory we may need to manually change a  configure file in AP web service ?

Any input /clarification can be provided will be much appreciated.

Best Regards

Kevin

Kevin,
     The steps should be similar if you are moving the DB as well. The important thing is that you limit the changes you make at any given time, and then verify.. If you were moving your DB server as well, then I might suggesting creating a backup of your original DB, and restoring that on your new server.. Once you have done this, you will need to update your existing production instance to use the restored DB.. You would need to change connection strings in the following 3 config files:

1. C:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\App Portal\Web\web.config (2 locations)
2. C:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\App Portal\Service\ESDService.exe.config (1 location)
3. C:\Program Files (x86)\Flexera Software\App Portal\APM\web.config (2 locations)

In each file, search for the string "Data Source=".. To the right of the "=" sign specify the new DB server name. After making the changes, restart the ESD Service, and also perform an iisreset. Assuming that the existing production site functions normally after moving the DB, then you can proceed with the steps I outlined previously. 

Much appreciated Charli 

Cheers

Kev

Hi @Big_Kev ,

thanks for the reply and we don't have that option to move the existing app portal to install in new server but we have to upgrade to new version and that link doesn't have all the details.

Regards,

Hello @winvarma_MCI 

Apart from Charlies detailed steps , from the default online help you could see this one https://docs.flexera.com/appportal/2022r1/ig/Content/helplibrary/AP_PerformUpgrade.htm#upgradingappportal_3395912261_1044241 which is a standard upgrade path, it should be combined with the previous moving server URL I shared, but again, Charlie's one is great enough too.

HTH

Cheers

Kevin

CharlesW
By Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

If your DB server is not moving, this should be quite easy. One big advantage of standing up a new server is that you do not have to touch production until you are certain that App Broker is up and running on the new server.. Here is a brief overview of the steps you would likely need to take in a normal use case.. These assume that the DB server will not be changing:

1. Setup your new Windows 2019 Server, and install the roles and features documented in the App Broker installation guide. See the following: https://docs.flexera.com/appportal/2022r1/ig/Content/helplibrary/Enabling_Roles_and_Features_in_Windows_Server_2012_or_Later.htm#preparingtoinstall_2330745231_1088100

2. Run the App Broker installer on the new server (2019R1). The version that you install should be the same as the one running in production. During the installation, point the installer to the existing App Broker DB. 

3. Once installed, stop the ESD Service on the new server. We do not want the new server to be processing any requests until we decommission the old server. Only one ESD service should ever be running.

4. Copy the web/images and web/backgrounds folders from the old server to the new server. These folders contain images pertaining to catalog items, etc.. When prompted by windows if you want to overwrite the existing files of the same name, answer "no". That way, only the files that do not exist will be copied. Typically, it is just the images that need to be copied from one server to the other.. If you are using custom web services, reports, etc, then these would also need to be copied from one server to the other. Most don't use custom web services or reports, which is why I do not list this in the steps.

5. At this point, you can confirm that the new website is functional and that all images are rendering correctly in the web UI.

6. If everything appears to be functional in the new enviornment, then we can upgrade to 2022 R1. At this point, I typically recommend upgrading the ESD web service on the SCCM server to 2022 R1. Generally it is better to upgrade the ESD Web Service first.

7. Once you have upgraded the ESD Web Service, then run the 2022 R1 installer on your new server. This will install App Portal 2022 R1, in addition to upgrading the database schema (no need to manually run scripts.

8. Once App Portal 2022 R1 is installed,  you can stop the ESD Service on the old site, and start the ESD service on the new site. At this point, you can update your DNS alias(s) to point to the new App Broker server.