cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Portal My Request tab symbol meaning

As a tech, I have been using Flexera App Portal to install software to colleague's computers for many years but have always been puzzled by the meaning of certain symbols representing install status. The symbols that puzzle me are the Accepted symbol and the symbol that has 2 circular green arrows chasing each other. What do they mean? Usually, when I see the circular green arrows, I think that the software has already been installed but App Portal is trying to reinstall it.  Usually, that never finishes and is a frustratingly bad sign. I have some hope when I see the Accepted sign. Could someone please clarify what these symbols mean? 

(1) Solution

OK, so you're talking about something different than the "Accepted" status I referenced for approvers.  When using software catalog items with a ConfigMgr (SCCM) "package" type, there is a ConfigMgr status of "Accepted", which just means that the client has received the machine policy.  When you hover over that icon (or even some of the other deployment status icons), you'll see the last status message received by ConfigMgr, which in your case is "Accepted".  There are many possible reasons that a client may never successfully install the package after receiving the machine policy.  You would need to work with your ConfigMgr team to troubleshoot the deployment.

When you set up a software catalog item with ConfigMgr, you can choose either "Application" or "Package", and then there are various options you can configure on the deployment, such as whether to deploy to the computer or the user, whether the deployment is mandatory or not, and when to rerun the advertised program.  The "Program rerun behavior" along with some "trigger" (e.g. deployment schedule, install request from Software Center, install request from App Portal) will impact when/if the deployment reruns.  This is why you may see the "Rerun" icon.  Typically, this will happen if the deployment fails and the deployment is configured to "Rerun if failed previous attempt" or "Always rerun".  In such cases, it may never succeed and will eventually fail due to the timeout period.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

View solution in original post

(6) Replies

FYI, these symbols appear on the My Requests tab of App Portal.

The "Accepted" symbol is related to approvals and is only relevant if this behavior has been enabled in the site settings.  It is helpful when a single step in an approval workflow has multiple approvers ("Pool" or "Pool within Level").  Since that one request will show up for all the approvers in the pool of approvers, this allows an approver to "accept" that request to let the other approvers in that pool (and the requester) know that someone is actively working on that request.  Product documentation reference below...

https://docs.flexera.com/appportal/2023r1/ag/Content/helplibrary/APR_Settings_Website_CatBeh.htm

Allow approvers to accept requests

If this option is selected, accepting a request marks an item as acknowledged by the approver. The App Portal user interface will update to indicate which approver (from a pool of approvers) has accepted the request so that the rest of the pool does not need to take any action. Accepting a request causes approval reminder emails to stop being sent to other approvers in the pool.

For the "chasing green arrows", do you have a screenshot?  Does anything pop up if you hover over it or click on it?  Unfortunately, that icon is not included in the End User Guide documentation regarding status icons: https://docs.flexera.com/appportal/2023r1/eug/Content/helplibrary/AP_MyRequests_Icons.htm

I think it means App Broker is waiting on status from the deployment system, but I'm not sure.

Anything expressed here is my own view and not necessarily that of my employer, Flexera. If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".

Thank you for the quick reply. I guess I understand the meaning of the 'Accepted' Status. In my organization, I don't know who the approver would be, except the end user and I've never seen that option when I remote into the user's machine, except to say that in an app that is installed on all this organization's machines called Software Center, there is often an option to install the program from there after it's been pushed by App Portal- perhaps that is the 'approver' noted in your reply. Following the link you gave me, I was able to find this page, which shows each of the status messages available in My Requests: Viewing Status, Info, and Actions Icons on the My Requests Tab (flexera.com) The actual picture of the 'Accepted' icon I was talking about is shown there, but on that page it is listed as 'Rerun' and the Description is: 'Indicates an advertisement rerun.' I called it the 'Accepted' button because when I hover over that symbol in App Portal, that is what it says it is. Also, the other symbol (green circular arrows) that I mentioned is not listed there, and unfortunately, I do not have a screen shot of it, but I now  remember what it said when I hover over it: 'Pending rerun action'. I do note that I have not seen that showing up as much lately, but saw it once within the last month. Maybe that has been replaced with the button I called 'Accepted'. That seems like a possibility because the link I just gave lists that symbol as 'Rerun'- not 'Accepted'. 

This is a picture of the 'Accepted' or 'Rerun' button.

Accepted button.jpeg

OK, so you're talking about something different than the "Accepted" status I referenced for approvers.  When using software catalog items with a ConfigMgr (SCCM) "package" type, there is a ConfigMgr status of "Accepted", which just means that the client has received the machine policy.  When you hover over that icon (or even some of the other deployment status icons), you'll see the last status message received by ConfigMgr, which in your case is "Accepted".  There are many possible reasons that a client may never successfully install the package after receiving the machine policy.  You would need to work with your ConfigMgr team to troubleshoot the deployment.

When you set up a software catalog item with ConfigMgr, you can choose either "Application" or "Package", and then there are various options you can configure on the deployment, such as whether to deploy to the computer or the user, whether the deployment is mandatory or not, and when to rerun the advertised program.  The "Program rerun behavior" along with some "trigger" (e.g. deployment schedule, install request from Software Center, install request from App Portal) will impact when/if the deployment reruns.  This is why you may see the "Rerun" icon.  Typically, this will happen if the deployment fails and the deployment is configured to "Rerun if failed previous attempt" or "Always rerun".  In such cases, it may never succeed and will eventually fail due to the timeout period.

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide the in-depth explanation of those 2 App Portal icons, jdempsey! They have been puzzling me for a long time. 

Top Kudoed Authors