cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

repackager + vmware

i have previously used vmware for creating normal packages as it is quick and easy. under version3 adminstudio and 3.10vmware i could use a network repackager without problems. however now i have to install the repackager on the machine. then i can run the network version as well. if i then uninstall the program it will continue to run the network version. does the repackager require the msiexec file or ?
(10) Replies
You do'nt need to install repackager if you do not wish to. You should still be able to use by mapping it from the network drive as usual. The only difference is you'll not be able to repackage using 'InstallMonitor' method. Although I am curious why would you want to install repackager and have network repackager at the same time on your vmware image. It seems unnecessary.
prostetnic,

FYI, you can also download an InstallShield/VMware whitepaper that tells you how to integrate the two at:
http://www.installshield.com/promo/vmware/launch.asp
ok try again. The repackager wont run over a network share. it is somehow dependent on a file or something that is not in NT as default. I have to install the repackager. then uninstall it. then the program runs across the network. i have never had to do this under AS3.1 using the exact same vmware machine, only under 3.5.

As a thought i uninstalled 3.5 and reinstalled 3.1, ran the repackager over the network and all perfect. it is only 3.5 that doesn't go. i also burned it to a cd, no joy. 3.5 definately needs a file not included as standard in the repacker dir. it is probably installed on a standard machine, but not a vmware as it has different requirements for network etc. It does however work without a problem on a standard install, not a vmware.
Can you specify what platform / service pack / IE version you are on vmware?
hi,

nt4 german

NT4 as vmware on a winxp host.
IE5.5sp2
SP6a

there are no hotfixes etc as i need to run the same as certain clients.. nothing else ist installed.
Hi,

okay further testing shows this up on NT4 german on a normal machine too.

dell lattitude c800 + drivers installed
NT4 Deutsch
sp6a
sec update
qfixes
IE6SP1

This is really bugging me now. this is only with the 3.5 admin studio repackager. I have checked this with 98/nt/2k/xp and it only seems to affect NT4 (have not tested under english language version yet). as i said before though, if i install the repackager and then de-install it, i can then run the network version. this is definately a missing file/dependancy that is not with repackager any more. I have for now gone back to AS3 as this works.
Hello prostetnic:

Thank you for your question regarding InstallShield AdminStudio version 3.5 and the German version of Windows NT 4.0.

I went ahead and set up my test machine (using VMWARE), for the configuration you describe (German NT4 w/SP6, etc.). I was able to install and run Repackager without any trouble. I used the German shareware version of Adobe Acrobat Reader (downloaded from www.adobe.com) as the target package, and it packaged up and installed/uninstalled just fine. At one point during packaging, I did have some trouble where I had to reboot the VMWARE, but it might have just been my disk drive being almost full.

However, I don't want to leave the issue by simply saying I can't reproduce it, so if you could, please tell me more about the problems you're seeing. When you say "it won't go", do you mean it hangs Repackager? Does it hang the entire operating system? Does the packaging process fail at some point? Would it be possible for you to try what I did with the Adobe Acrobat Reader and see if that works? I know you said this happens on a non-VMWARE machine running German Windows NT as well, but were all the tests on the same machine? Does it happen on other machines? Any more information that you can provide me will better help me to determine what might be wrong.

Anyway, once I hear back on this I'll see what we can do to reproduce the problem here. Thank you in advance for any additional information you can provide.
hope that helped then. I can't manually register this dll with regsrv32...any ideas?
Hello prostetnic:

I found out today that this is a known problem with AdminStudio 3.5, and that the solution is one that you've already done, to install Repackager locally. It turns out that the Repackager updates MSVCRT.DLL, which fixes this particular problem.

There is an InstallShield Knowledge Base article in the works for this, you should be able to find it here on the web within a few days.
okay thx.

i have now created a small install package to update this dll. all working now.