cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repackaged .dll files

I am in the process of repackaging an application for deployment and found that the original installation is installing mfc42.dll, msvcrt.dll, and msvcirt.dll to the application directory but it is not registering those .dll's. If the application is accessing those .dll files and not the shared versions (in the system directory) I would assume that I would need to add those back into the project (they were replaced with merge modules). My only question is how do I add those back into the project and then NOT have the installation register those files at install time?

Thanks

Trickle10
(1) Reply
msvcrt.dll and msvcirt.dll are not COM servers and so they do not need to be registered. So I am not sure what do you mean by "not registering those .dll's". My guess is that your application looks for these files in the application specific directory and can't find it and hence the error. If your application is looking for these dlls specifically into the application directory then I suggest not to include the merge modules while building the .msi. To do so, go to the Conversion Options in Legacy Conversion Wizard and click on Advanced button. Uncheck the checkbox which says "Replace files with merge modules whenever possible..." and build the .msi package. This will not replace the files with merge modules. And the files will get install into the application specific directory. The application will find these files and will not complain.