cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PDFCreator wont' work

Hi all

In our firm we eval Adminstudio 8.0 cause with WININSTALL LE we were not very happy and now with encounter the following problem:

after capturing and building the installation of the File "PDFCreator-0_9_3_GPLGhostscript.exe"
(tried both methods installation capture and snapshot) we deploy it within a third party SW Deploy System the MSI Package which was created without any error.

All files will be installed correctly except the printer driver (in the windows printer folder) named "PDFCreator" and therefore the application is useless

any ideas, is there maybe a hidden hint?

thanks for your help

kind regards

E.Altherr
(5) Replies
By the way, for what purpose you repackaged this program, when on Sorceforge.net exists original msi-version? Download it, and be happy. 😄
Makumazan wrote:
By the way, for what purpose you repackaged this program, when on Sorceforge.net exists original msi-version? Download it, and be happy. 😄

well the original msi version dosen't work, which means the printerdriver won't be installed while deploying the paket
It's been awhile since I've done this package, but I believe that you'll need to create a custom action to install the driver. VBScript should be a good option. Google on 'VBScript InstallPrinter' to see what you come up with. Also, dump the .msi version into Orca. I believe there are some custom actions that do this already--you should be able to extract these from the original .msi and insert them into the new one.
This is probably due to the fact that you have to stop the print spooler to be able to install the print drivers and start it again when the installation is (almost) complete. This can be done either by creating custom actions or stop/start service components. If you do the latter, be sure not to uninstall the print spooler service at uninstall time.

Cheers
Dear all

Thanks for your hints and suggestions. Now i found a very handy solution

I took the Version of PDFCreator which is especially configured for deplyoment systems and then a i create a batch which calls (after the installation was done) msiexec with the /fa Switch to "repair" the msi after sucessful installation and BINGO!!! it works. At least i need to find the parameter within the msi Package to avoid restarting the workstation.

With the batch mentioned above the driver will be created and then everything is working fine

again thank you for your help