cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hiding Dialogs with Tuner

I am using Tuner that is part of Admin Studio 6 to create a transform for an installation (Business Objects 6.5). My intent is for the end user to run the setup file, and not have to interact with the setup program at all. I am having two problems.

The first problem is that I am unable to hide some of the dialogs in the install because they have custom actions. I can fill in the values with what they need to be, but I cannot hide the dialog from appearing when the install is run. How can I have the setup accept the information, and not require the user to hit 'next' in the dialog boxes?

My second problem is that I do not want to enter an absolute installation path into the properties of the dialog boxes in the transform (i.e. C:\Program Files\...) Is there a way that I can use a relative path (something like [Program Files Dir]\...)

Thanks in advance
(5) Replies
I have a vendor application similar to your experience. They put tons and tons of CA's into the dialog buttons so you almost get scared to change any of them. Basically I prepropulate the properties and disable the controls so the user can't change it but they still have to hit next next next. The install also supports a fully silent install ( setup /s /v"/qn" ) so it's no big deal.
When I run the setup with those switches, what should happen? What dpes /s /v and /qn mean? Do I need an answer file to run a silent install?

Thanks
Help and Search explains the command line arguments for setup.exe and msiexec. BusinessObject 6.5 is a big vendor so I'm pretty sure you'll find documentation with it that shows how to setup a silent installation. I havn't used the product since the old 5.0 days ( before it was an MSI install ) but eve then they had ways of passing values like RDBMSKEY to tell it to do an automatic install.
OK, it seems that I am making some progress, thanks for the help. Here's what's happening:

I created a new setup.exe that applies the transform to the MSI. When I click through the wizard, accepting the defaults that I have setup, the install runs properly. When I use setup /s /v"/qn", the setup runs silently and installs some files, (it appears to be common files, .dlls, etc.), but no executables or shortcuts. Have you ever seen this before?
I've looked at the documentation and it says to use the setup.exe /s /v"/qn..." and it doesn't work, as said previousley it doesn't install most files - anybody figured out the problem?