cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting metadata for all Workflow Manager items.

Good afternoon, community.

I am having some trouble with finding a meaningful way to export data from all of the fields we have setup in our Workflow Manager template. I am looking for a way to export all of the metadata report information for each workflow item we have.

So, for example, I have a template we use for Application Packaging work where App Broker collects information from the end-users (such as Application Name, Version, Vendor, Ticket Number, Project Manager, etc.) and also has information from the App Packaging team pertaining to how the application was packaged, where the content used in Configuration Manager resides and other notes.

From what I can tell, it looks like everything exists between these tables - AMS_Application, AMS_ApplicationItem and AMS_AuditTrail. However, the contents of AMS_AuditTrail is basically unintelligible because every row of the table is an individual change to an individual field within the workflow.

I'm not really a SQL guy and I'm struggling through trying to write a query that will export all of our data. Has anyone ever had a situation where they needed to bulk export all of their Workflow Metadata? If so, how did you discover where it was all stored in the database and export it in a readable format? I'm open to any suggestions, advice or sample SQL code that might help accomplish this.

Thanks,

Zack Prieto.

(1) Solution

Flexera support had previously provided me with a Stored Procedure that allowed to manually sift through our database and locate where different bits of data were stored. I eventually got a query written that extracted the pertinent information from our database.

View solution in original post

(7) Replies

@zackprieto 

I suggest you report a support case by navigating to Support -> Open New Case. Our support team should be able to provide you with a SQL script to export the kind of report you are looking for from the Workflow Manager.

Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me @kmantagi. I originally reached out to support and they simply provided me with a Stored Proc I could use to manually search through the tables for specific data. I ended up cobbling together a query based off of that and pulled out the pertinent information.

Hey Zack,

I run a company called TLUX Technologies (www.tlux-group.com) and we are Flexera's only certified global partner delivering all their AdminStudio and Workflow Manager consulting and training needs.

I'm very sure one of our team can help you out on a day-rate basis.  Please feel free to reach out at crispin.luxton@tlux-group.com or on  (872) 281 4069  to set up a chat.  

Thanks a lot,

Crispin.

Thanks, but no thanks. I managed to cobble together a query that got me the information I needed to export. @Cluxton 

No worries, thanks for circling back.  Have a great day!

Flexera support had previously provided me with a Stored Procedure that allowed to manually sift through our database and locate where different bits of data were stored. I eventually got a query written that extracted the pertinent information from our database.

This is the query I used, for anyone else that might be tasked with exporting this data. I took the results from this and created a pivot table in MS Excel.

I'm not a SQL guy, so I'm sure there's opportunity to optimize this in some way - but it worked for me and that was my goal in creating this.

=================================================================

SELECT [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_Application].[ApplicationID]

,[DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_Application].[ApplicationLName]
,[DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_Application].[UploadDate]
,[DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_Application].[AppStatusID]
,[DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_ApplicationStatus].[Status_Text]
,[DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_ApplicationItem].[CreateDate]
,[DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_ApplicationItem].[DataText]
,[DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_Person].[UserName]
,[DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_WFMajorItemTpl].[WFMajorItemName]
,[DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_WFMinorItemTpl].[WFMinorItemDesc]
,[DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_DataMinorItemTextTpl].[MinorItemText]
,[DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_ApplicationItem].[SortOrder]
,[DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_DataMinorItemTpl].[DataMinorItemDesc]
,[DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_DataMinorItemTpl].[DataMinorItemInternalDesc]

FROM [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_Application]

FULL OUTER JOIN [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_ApplicationItem]
ON [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_Application].[ApplicationID] = [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_ApplicationItem].[ApplicationID]

FULL OUTER JOIN [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_Person]
ON [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_ApplicationItem].[UpdatedBySubmit] = [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_Person].[PersonID]

FULL OUTER JOIN [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_WFMajorItemTpl]
ON [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_Application].[CurrentWFMajorItemID] = [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_WFMajorItemTpl].[WFMajorItemID]

FULL OUTER JOIN [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_WFMinorItemTpl]
ON [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_Application].[CurrentWFMinorItemID] = [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_WFMinorItemTpl].[WFMinorItemID]

FULL OUTER JOIN [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_DataMinorItemTpl]
ON [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_ApplicationItem].[ItemID] = [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_DataMinorItemTpl].[DataMinorItemID]

FULL OUTER JOIN [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_ApplicationStatus]
ON [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_Application].[AppStatusID] = [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_ApplicationStatus].[StatusID]

WHERE [DATABASE_NAME_HERE].[dbo].[AMS_Application].[ApplicationLName] IS NOT NULL

ORDER BY UploadDate,ApplicationLName

=================================================================

From the data this output, I created my pivot off of these rows, in order:
Status_Text,
ApplicationLName,
DataMinorItemDesc,
UserName,
DataText

This organizes the data by status of the workflow item first, then by the workflow's name (which for was the app name + version), then the step of the workflow, followed by who modified it and finally, the data they entered in the field in the workflow.