Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Customizing repackaged MSI install

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
:confused:
I have downloaded the AdminStudio product in attempt to find if it can help me with my quandry, but still cannot seem to find a solution.

I have a vendor supplied software package (Rockwell Software - RSLinx) that appears to be an InstallShield install, but once the install gets running, you can see it is Windows Installer install. I assume this is an InstallShield repackaged install of a Windows install of the product. At any rate this is the form the vendor has sent the application out in.

I wish to create a silent install of this application, but I must change one default on the install. I assume the correct way to do this is to somehow get back to the Windows Install portion of the package, modify/develop a Transforms file to change the default I need changed, repackage in InstallShield and work out the silent install.

How can I get the InstallShield application to unbundle the install back to it's Windows Installer files so I can modify the Transform??
(3) Replies
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
InstallShield Tuner allow users to customize an existing Windows Installer package (.msi).

1. Users can open an existing MSI package, make changes, and then save the changes.
2. When users save the changes, a transform file (.mst) is created.

NOTE: The original Windows Installer package remains untouched in this whole process.

The whole idea of transforms is that you can customize your MSI package by creating transforms. At run time, you can merge the transforms (your changes) with the original MSI package to apply your changes.

To install the package and transform silently, you can use the following command line:

msiexec /i /T /qn

(/qn stands for silent install)

You can also use Packaging Wizard in InstallShield Tuner to bundle your original installation and transforms.

In the Packaging Wizard, you can provide command line arguments (/qn in this case) if you want to run the installation silently.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Amber - thanks for the reply to my question. I have been able to use the Tuner to go thorugh my .msi for this application, and am making some progress.

I have launched the following question to support as I still need assistance on one thing.

I am using tuner to try to regulate prompts during the install of a
product (Rockwell Software RSLinx). I have gone though the install prompts creating a Transform file, but the process did not catch a last prompt in the install (which comes up after the install of the application to the client) which inquires if I wish to automatically start a service.

The default response is YES, and I wish to change it to NO, but I cannot find any reference to this prompt in my transform dialogs. My final goal is a Silent install of this application.
Have a look at the ServiceControl MSI table or any CustomActions that may start the service.

Regards,

Rene