cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conflict with previous version of Windows Installer

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
My company just purchased AdminStudio 3.5.

We are using Active Directory to deploy our software. The problem I have found is that all of our users have Windows 2000 with Service Pack 2. And if I create an .msi package, it will not install on the PCs/Laptops unless I service pack 3 or Windows Installer 2.0.

I did try to do a work around by downloading version 2.0 of Windows Installer from Microsoft's website, but it will not allow me to deploy with their .MSI package for version 2.0.

At this time, I can not upgrade all of users to Service Pack 3, due to problems and conflicts with some of our programs we use.

Can someone give me some tips to resolve this issue, please?
(4) Replies
Under the General Information | Summary Information Stream view of the InstallShield Development Environment there is a Schema property. If this is set to 200 then Windows installer 2.0 will be required. You can change this property to a different value such as 110 (requires Windows Installer 1.1 or higher) or 100 (requires Windows Installer 1.0 or higher).
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I did as you suggested, and it is still not being installed. The same error is showing in Event Viewer that a new version needs to be installed.
It sounds like you have functionality in the project that requires Windows Installer 2.0. If that's the case you have no choice but to use Windows Installer 2.0. The schema will have to be set to 200. See the MSI help topic "What's New in Windows Installer Version 2.0" (under Help | MSI Help Library) for a list of features that require 2.0.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
That's what I figured to begin with. Thanks for your input Adam. InstallShield does work great. Much better than what I used before.