cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Conflict Solver date problem

CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
I am having a problem today with the conflict solver program.

Every program I have imported to the database today has a date related error. The Original date shows as 12 Jan 2002 and the mod date shows as dec 1 2002 (which is the correct date). Why does it do this and how can I stop it?

Clive
(14) Replies
I have a similar problem.
CoflictSolver seems to record the date/time the package was last modified on a 12 hour basis, while the operating system displays the date/time on a 24 hour basis.

So when I import a package wich was last modified on 17:00, conflictsolver immediately reports:
Original modification date: .... 5:00 AM
Current modification date: .... 17:00 PM
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Clive,

ConflictSolver stores the last modified date in GMT form of the MSI package when it is first imported. At later times, we check the current last modified date against the stored date and report any differences. This feature is meant as a convience to the user to allow them to keep their ConflictSolver database in-sync with the various MSI packages which make up the database.

Based upon the information provided, there is clearly something unusual going on, which will require further investigation. This feature can be disabled by de-selecting the 'Display broken MSI/MST package links' checkbox in the Options dialog - General tab.

Allen Saxton
AdminStudio Development
In which version of ConflictSolver is that option shown?
According to the help file I have to manually modify a registry key to disable it.
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Johan,

All storage and internal comparisons of time values is done in GMT form. When we display the date time, we use standard Windows API's and the users default locale to display the date/time appropriately.

Allow us to investigate possible causes to this problem. We need a theory for what is going wrong. Are you using Access or SQL Server? The only possible explanation is that the original file modified date is getting mangled when it is stored in the database.

Allen Saxton
AdminStudio Development
I'm running MS SQL Server
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Johan,

The 'disable broken link' option should be available in AdminStudio/ConflictSolver v3.5. In earlier versions, the option was only available via the manual manipulation of the registry key. The version of the key for AdminStudio v3.5 is shown below.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\InstallShield\ConflictSolver\3.5\Main\DisplayBrokenFileLinks (DWORD - 0 or 1)

Allen Saxton
AdminStudio Development
Strange, I have AdminStudio 3.5 with ValuePack 1 installed.
Perhaps something is wrong with my installation?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Johan,

I may in fact have been confused as to which AdminStudio version this 'disable' option is made publically available. AdminStudio v3.5 value pack 1 adds support for Developer v8.0 to AdminStudio. This particular ConflictSolver change may in fact not be publically available, yet.

So, it would be recommended to use the registry key I referenced earlier until we get our next release released.

Allen Saxton
AdminStudio Development
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Am using Access database for it.

Strange thing is that the date works after the 12th of the month properly, so 25th November registers correctly as 25 nov 2002 but once it turned over to 1st dec it changed to 12th Jan.

All packages made so far this month have this problem.

Clive
Is it also possible to completely suppress the checking for broken file links or suppress checking the source files at all?
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Johan,

We recognize that under certain circumstances a file may be located on a remote and thus slow network location and as such this operation can take a little time. As a result, disabling the display of these broken links will effectively also disable the checking of the underlying file for borken links.

Please use the registry key referenced in the earlier reply to control this behavior.

Allen Saxton
AdminStudio Development
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
So will you be fixing the problem in the next update? It's annoying that my packages at the beginning of each month comes up with an error, but I don't want to stop the errors being reported.

Clive
CChong
By Level 11 Flexeran
Level 11 Flexeran
Clive,

I fully intend to fix the problem by the next release. However, we have not encounteered this particular problem in our own testing and as such, we need a theory as to what is causing the problem.

I will "bump up" the priority of this issue with our management and we will see what we can accomplish.

Allen Saxton
AdminStudio Development
Changing the system date to English US (Regional settings) solved the modification date problem after re-importing the package.

Apparently the format in Access needs to be (mm\dd\yyyy).

I believe you could also change the date format in the .mdb.
:rolleyes:

Marco