Highlighted
Flexera beginner

Problem getting some Java SDK methods to work

Jump to solution

I have no idea if this is the correct board for a Usage Intelligence question:

I am starting to see a problem with some events not showing up in the Log file on our computer and thus not showing up in the database. I would think it was just that I didn't request that custom events be allowed but I get some custom text events and not others. I trace through the code and see the values being sent to the RUI SDK method (trackEventText() in this case) and check that the return value is OK. And then, sometimes, I see that a method call of a different value right after those don't make it to the Log file or the Revulytics/Flexera analytics site. Sometimes. It almost seems random. I tried upgrading to the 5.5.2 version over the week end but I see the same problem. I've even tried hard-coding a value and it still doesn't work. I tried renaming the description part of the call (middle argument) and it showed up - once. I tried changing where the third argument was stored (instance variable vs local variable) and that worked - once. Here is a sample of a call that fails (using hard-coded value):

trackEventText("DA_DissolvedOxygen", "SalinityFileName", "Abcdefg");

Yet later in the code, I have this (which works - all the time):

trackEventText("DA_DissolvedOxygen", "CreateAdjustedDOSeriesName", dialog.getDOAdjustedChannelName());

where the call to the dialog object returns a string the customer has entered.

So I have a couple of questions:

1) How do I enable custom event tracking? I follow the link in the Knowledge Base but it just takes me to support. I hope this will just solve this problem.

2) Am I correct in thinking that if I look at the ruilogV5_...<shortened>.logtmp file, as long as it exists while our program is running, will hold everything that will eventually go to the analytics server? Is there a way to make this log persist so I don't have to examine it while our program is running?

3) There doesn't seem to be a way to track integers. Everything gets converted to a double. This makes for some awkward situations for our marketing analysis. Is the only solution to this to store integers as text?

Thank you,

Jim Dodd

Onset Computer Corporation

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Problem getting some Java SDK methods to work

Jump to solution

Hi @JimDodd,

Looks like you are seeking assistance with your Usage Intelligence product. At this time, we have not set up a community forum for Usage Intelligence. However, our Flexera Support team would be happy to assist you. You can open a support ticket by going to the Open New Case form. Please refer to this page for more information about our Usage Intelligence community resources.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Flexera beginner

Jump to solution
Thank you very much. I will do that.

I don't feel quite so bad, now, that I wasn't able to find the right Community page. I think that would be a valuable feature and I'm sure you're well on your way to making that happen.

Regards,
Jim Dodd

2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Hi @JimDodd,

Looks like you are seeking assistance with your Usage Intelligence product. At this time, we have not set up a community forum for Usage Intelligence. However, our Flexera Support team would be happy to assist you. You can open a support ticket by going to the Open New Case form. Please refer to this page for more information about our Usage Intelligence community resources.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Flexera beginner

Jump to solution
Thank you very much. I will do that.

I don't feel quite so bad, now, that I wasn't able to find the right Community page. I think that would be a valuable feature and I'm sure you're well on your way to making that happen.

Regards,
Jim Dodd