cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue Running Setup.exe From Root Drive

Issue Running Setup.exe From Root Drive

Summary

If setup.exe is executed directly under the root drive it will not start normally. For example using the setup.exe from Installscript MSI projects are not able to install from a USB Thumb Drive.

Symptoms

If setup.exe is executed directly under the root drive it will not start normally. For example using the setup.exe from Installscript MSI projects are not able to install from a USB Thumb Drive.

Steps To Reproduce

Launch setup.exe from the root drive
  1. Create a new Installscript MSI project
  2. Add a single file to a component and build with default settings (uncompressed)
  3. Copy the release to a USB Thumb Drive
  4. Run the install from the USB drive by double-clicking the setup.exe

Resolution

Apply IOJ-1887561 hotfix. This is applicable only for InstallShield 2018 SP1 version 24.0.463.

Version information can be verified in the ?Programs and Features? in the control panel or from the ?Apps & Features? in the Windows 10 settings.

1. Make sure InstallShield 2018 SP1 is not running.

2. Go to the directory where you installed InstallShield 2018 SP1(%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\InstallShield\2018\Redist\Language Independent\i386) and backup the following files:

%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\InstallShield\2018\Redist\Language Independent\i386\setup.exe to %PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\InstallShield\2018\Redist\Language Independent\i386\setup_org.exe
%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\InstallShield\2018\Redist\Language Independent\i386\setupPreReq.exe to %PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\InstallShield\2018\Redist\Language Independent\i386\setupPreReq_org.exe

3. Copy the new files part of this hotfix to the InstallShield 2018 SP1(%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\InstallShield\2018\Redist\Language Independent\i386) folder:

%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\InstallShield\2018\Redist\Language Independent\i386\setup.exe
%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\InstallShield\2018\Redist\Language Independent\i386\setupPreReq.exe
Labels (2)
Was this article helpful? Yes No
No ratings
Version history
Last update:
‎Aug 15, 2018 10:29 PM
Updated by: