cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vs20082010
Level 4

where is ISCAB.exe in InstallShield 2010?

Where can I find the ISCAB.exe?

I have a mobile device installer and I would like to update the Cab file where the mobile device application is included and I suppose this exe could help me somehow.

The installer will be installed via desktop and then with the help of the mobile device center or active sync. but before that i would like to replace the file inside the cab file.

thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

ISCab works on the InstallShield cab format. I believe the format used for mobile devices is the Microsoft cab format. These formats are incompatible and so are the tools.

That said, I believe ISCab would be in the \System folder, if we still distribute it.
0 Kudos
vs20082010
Level 4

I have created the entire installer in installshield, together with the mobile device cab file in the mobile device view section of the basic msi project. did you mean this is not an installshield cab format?

by the way, i have not seen the IsCab application in the installshield path that you suggested.

do you have any alternative ways on how can i replace xml files inside that mobile cab installer that was basically created in installshield 2010?

thank you.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Yes, the mobile device support uses Microsoft's cab format. Of the project types we support, only InstallScript projects use the InstallShield cab format.
0 Kudos
Donnie
Level 2

I can't find the iscab.exe.

My IS 2010 is Premier SP1 with the hotfix 52410, only iscab.exe.manifest dated 2006/1/19 is found in C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2010\System, the iscab.exe itself is missing.

And both the iscab.exe and iscab.exe.manifest are not there in the 2010 standalone build version.

Were you missed to put the iscab files in 2010 release?

I need to use iscab.exe in my batch build process, please provide the file.

Thank you.
0 Kudos
tw0001
Level 4

Same here, I rarely post any more but this warrants a post. ISCAB is an absolute must for us, and it's missing from the system folder in 2010.
0 Kudos
tw0001
Level 4

I found the answer, and unfortunately the news is bad.

Q200330: Upgrading Projects to InstallShield 2010

http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=Q200330&sliceId=1&docTypeID=DT_INFO_1_1&dialogID=78655215&stateId=0

it states:

ISCab.exe Is No Longer Available
ISCab.exe is no longer supported. Therefore, it is no longer included with InstallShield.
0 Kudos
Donnie
Level 2

Thanks, tw0001,

This is really a bad news that we have to change our process.
It's bad.
0 Kudos
tw0001
Level 4

Hi Donnie, did you try copying the iscab.exe and iscab.exe.manifest from IS2009 SP2 to IS2010 standalone build (system) folder? It appears to work well.
0 Kudos
tw0001
Level 4

A bit offtopic but I found that under InstallShield 2011 this is finally broken. Previously you could use iscab from previous version and copy to 2010. But with 2011, you can do a "-l" (list) but cannot do a "-a" (update). Any alternative to modify cab files on the fly?
0 Kudos