cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
learn_is_2010
Level 2

vc redistributable from within installer

this is related to installing microsoft redistributable; I am trying to copy vc runtime 2005 onto a install directory, launch it and remove it after that. But I am getting the following error upon launching of the redistributable;

"Another program is being installed. Please wait until that installation is complete, and then try installing this software again".

I also couldn't do it via placing the redistributable in temp location using support files - I had trouble retrieving the value of of SUPPORTDIR value, which I need in custom action function from where I have to launch it!

Any help appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
Ajay_Ladsaria
Level 7

The Visual Studio redist setup is a Windows Installer setup. Thus it can't be installed from the Install Execute sequence of a different Windows Installer setup (this is a limitation of Windows Installer).

Thus the recommendation is to use the InstallShield Setup Prerequisite functionality to install VS redists. If one does not already exist for the version of the VS redist you want to install, then you can create a new setup prerequisite.

Defining InstallShield Prerequisites
http://helpnet.flexerasoftware.com/robo/projects/installshield15helplib/IHelpSetPrereqCustom.htm

-Ajay
0 Kudos