cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboFisch
Level 7

using asynchronous exe's in prerequisite

is it possible to asynchronous exe's in prerequisite.

I get strange behaviors, like exiting before getting to the next pre-requisite.

I wish there was an option to just ignore the status.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

How in the world are you getting prerequisites to install synchronously?

Any time I have used prerequisites they run asynchronously by default.

For instance, prerequisite1, 2, & 3 are scheduled to install. Prerequisite 1 installs. Once that is complete, it checks for your installation conditions to verify that it is true. If not true then you should have an option to end the install.
Prerequisite #2 cannot launch until #1 has completed. Since prerequisites can contain MSI packages, they must be asynchronous by default.

Create a small package to test that includes some default prerequisites and you should see the behavior I described.
0 Kudos
TurboFisch
Level 7

If you set it to install before feature selection, prerequisites are installed in the order you specify, #1, #2,#3,...., #N

However, some setup files like those created by winzip launch a separate process (one or more). So what happens is that Installshield moves to the next prerequisite before finishing these kind of setups.

Since we did not create these setup files we have no control in their creation, we can only launch them.

I don't really care if these have a setup return a valid error code, I just want it to launch and forget the error code.
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

Ahh, I see. I have never encountered a self extracting zip file situation.

I think you can edit the prerequisite to ignore exit codes. However, I do not know if the process is different for self-extracting/executing zip files. To edit the prerequisite select the prerequisite in the redistributable view. Right click and select edit Prerequisite. Select the Behavior tab and you should see the option to change the behavior for your prerequisite.

Hopefully someone who has had more experience with self-extracting zip files can chime in here.

EDIT: Be sure that you verify that the zipped prerequisite does not include any embedded MSI packages. The reason is that subsequent calls to MSI engine will report that the engine is in use until that self-extracting/executing zip file has completed its work.
0 Kudos