cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DLee65
Level 13

update.exe V E R Y Y Y slow for large patches

I notice that it takes 1 - 2 minutes from the time I double click on Update.exe to the time that the prompt to run the exe appears on Windows XP. The patch / service pack is large, weighing in just under 300 MB and I know it has something to do with windows explorer.

I cannot reduce the size of the patch, unfortunately. However, is there anything I can do to help alleviate the pain for the consumer? The patch will be downloaded from the web. Is there a way to display an hourglass or give some indication that update.exe is running?

Most users are going to double click on this package 100 times and then call tech support telling us that the patch does not work.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
thepeter
Level 7

you know how it works... if it cannot be fixed it is documented 🙂
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

If it's taking a long time between double-click of update.exe and a prompt from Windows as to whether it should be allowed to run, this is probably due to Windows verifying a digital signature on the exe. Try removing the signature (or building without it), and see if the behavior changes. If that results in preferable behavior, though, You'll have to weigh the options between performance and digital signature's security.
0 Kudos