cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
barakz
Level 3

uninstall during debug

Hello All,

When I'm trying to debug a maintnance scenario, i.e. install a product, and then I'm pressing on debug in InstallShiled, instead of starting the welcome maintnance page, it seems that the program first uninstall the current version and then runs a regular install scenario. Does anyone have a clue why this is happening and how can I overcome this?

Thanks in advance,
Barak
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
ITI_Randy
Level 6

In your InstallShield IDE, go to Tools>Options>Preferences and under "Run Commands" deselect "Uninstall Before Installing".

You can also set the registry for your InstallShield version so that your debug will run even outside of selecting "Debug" from the "Build" menu. This is actually required to be able to debug deferred custom action types.
0 Kudos
barakz
Level 3

This is exacly what I needed - Now I'm debugging just fine.
Another question, if anyone knows : I've created a service during the installation, but when I'm trying to uninstall it (using the add/ remove) - everything related to this service remains (exe files, dlls, etc). How do I get rid of those files?

Thanks in advance,
Barak
0 Kudos
ITI_Randy
Level 6

The catch in uninstalling the service may be simply that the files can't be deleted while the service is running. In the "Control NT Services" part of your component, be sure to have a control event defined and be sure that "Uninstall Stop" and "Uninstall Delete" are both set to "Yes".
0 Kudos