Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
avladescu
Level 3

single executable files of 4 GB size

Hello,

I have found this statement on Install Shield 2009 release notes:

"A single-file, compressed InstallScript installation can now be up to 4 GB in size. Previously, when end users ran large single-file, compressed InstallScript installations, the installations crashed during setup initialization.

Note that Setup.exe files cannot exceed 4 GB because Windows will not load an executable file that is larger than 4 GB."

Is this limitation of 4 GB still present in 2010 release? There is no work-around for this?

Thank you in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Since Windows will not load an executable file that is larger than 4 GB, there will be no workaround available. Note that you can certainly have a small setup.exe accompanied by an InstallScript cab file of any size your medium supports.
0 Kudos
avladescu
Level 3

Hello, and thank you for your fast reply.

Since I have no other option, I've made some tests, trying to build a small setup.exe accompanied by an InstallScript cab file, as you advised. But it seems I can't manage to do this. When I make a build, there are more files on Disk1 folder: not only setup.exe, but 2 .cab files, and data1.hdr, ISSetup.dll, layout.bin etc. I tried using "network Image" option also in the media type.

I'm currently using Install Shield 12 and thinking to upgrade to 2010 version. Is there in 2010 version an option for building only a small setup.exe accompanied by an InstallScript cab file (or more)? Or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thank you again.
0 Kudos
avladescu
Level 3

Hi,

any hint?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

You will end up with the extra supporting files as well as part of an uncompressed build. I'm not aware of a build option that gets you only the .exe file and a single external data file.
0 Kudos