cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lonewolf32
Level 5

silent install problem - SdFinish/SdFinishReboot

We are using InstallShield 2010, script-based installer. We created an .iss file in order to do a silent install (by using the -r option to create the file). We found that in some cases it would work and in others it would fail. We THINK we have traced the issue but are not sure of a solution.

When the .iss file was recorded, SdFinish was encountered because a reboot was not required at that time, and so it was recorded in the file. We are guessing that the times this works, are the times when a reboot is not required. However when a reboot IS required, then SdFinishReboot is encountered and there is no entry in the .iss file for this dialog.

The reason we suspect this issue is because we regenerated the .iss file on another box, and spotted that SdFinishReboot was added to the .iss file instead.

We tried manually altering the .iss file to include both SdFinish and SdFinishReboot but it appears that the sequential order of the entries in the .iss file (Dlg1, Dlg2, etc.) is important because it did not help.

Has anyone encountered this? Is there a solution to handle both cases?

Thanks,
Dave
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

I am not sure if there is a way to conditionally set the dialog to use in the ISS file.

However, if you can determine what is causing the need for the reboot prior to install, then you could test for that condition prior to install and select the appropriate .ISS file to use.
0 Kudos
lonewolf32
Level 5

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't see a way to determine if a reboot is going to take place ahead of time with our current setup. The need for reboot is most likely dependent on which OS is being used and perhaps which service pack/windows updates are installed. To me that is a infinite number of possible reasons a reboot could take place.
0 Kudos