cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jkjk01
Level 2

setup.iss not being populated with correct information

I have an InstallShield .EXE. I run this with a -r to create the setup.iss file. The setup.exe runs, launches an .MSI and once the .MSI runs I enter some information. "server name" "location" etc... The .MSI finishes and the software is installed. I then go to c:\windows\ and I find my setup.iss but it does NOT contain the "server name" or the other custom information that was entered into the .MSI install.

Why? What would cause that to happen?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
jkjk01
Level 2

More on this. I opened up the .MSI in question using Orca. I don't see any PROPERTIES for the "server name" field that I enter data into. There are a couple of other fields where I enter data and I don't see those PROPERTY field either. Why? If I run the .MSI I do see these fields so why can't I see them when I open up the .MSI?
0 Kudos
phill_mn
Level 7

Setup.iss is created by the InstallScript engine when using the -r switch and it records the entries to InstallScript dialogs (if the dialog supports this feature). If you create a custom InstallScript dialog you need to implement code to support RECORDMODE for that dialog. Dialogs presented as part of a MSI are not related to the InstallScript engine and entries to MSI dialogs do not get recorded in a setup.iss file.

Typically in the MSI world you would use either public properties or transforms to change the behavior of a MSI package. It depends on how the MSI is designed as to whether the information collected in a dialog is exposed in a property. Properties do not have to be listed in the Property table if they are created on the fly and don't need to have a default value. If the MSI dialog is an external UI it may use the information in some other manner. If you look at a verbose MSI log it should indicate if a property is being used for the collected information.
0 Kudos