cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mgreco157
Level 3

"This website is temporarily unavailable."

Hi there, I'm trying to download InstallShield so that I can deploy my first video game written in C++ with Visual Studio 2008, and send it to everyone I know. Unfortunately, the download page just gives me this message:

--------------------------------------------------------------
This website is temporarily unavailable.

Our Engineering and IT teams are working diligently to restore normal functionality. We still do not have an estimated time for when the sites will be restored to normal functionality

Thank you for your patience!
--------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone know how long this message has been up for? I've been developing my game for half a year on my own, and I'm really eager to release it. (Besides, the game almost erased on me once I was finished. Gotta love backups!)

Thanks,
Mario
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
joep_beusenberg
Level 2

The download site is still not available today...
0 Kudos
joep_beusenberg
Level 2

I tried it again just now, and it works again.
0 Kudos
mgreco157
Level 3

Thank you, much appreciated!!
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I'm curious, have you worked on installers with InstallShield before?

How much time in your project schedule have you allocated for authoring and testing the installer / uninstaller?

You might want to read:

http://blog.deploymentengineering.com/2011/01/dc-universe-online-uninstaller-issues.html
0 Kudos
mgreco157
Level 3

I've actually never worked with any installers before. I'm also quite new to the programing world, as I am a second year university student. I've been programming as early as grade 10, but now that I've enrolled in game development at my university, I been programming on a more consistent basis. Now that my game is done, I was hoping to ship it quickly to everyone I know through a simple to set up installer. So I looked at InstallShield. Now the problem is that my game was written in Visual Studio 2008 C++. Would you know if there is any way that I could use InstallShield 2011 Limited Edition with VS 2008?

P.S. I've been creating this game on my spare time, so there's technically no schedule. Regardless, I want to release it as soon as possible because I've kept my friends waiting for 6 months, and they're getting impatient, lol.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Sorry, InstallShield 2010LE is free with Visual Studio 2010 and only supports Visual Studio 2010.

If you're requirements are very simple, you should be able to get away with using Setup and Deployment Projects found in Visual Studio under Other Setup Projects. If you are just copying files, creating shortcuts and maybe even a few registry entries you should be just fine. The only thing that might bite you is handling the C++ runtime libraries. You might just want to make sure you are statically linking them when you compile to keep it simple.
0 Kudos
mgreco157
Level 3

Hmm weird, because this website says otherwise:
http://codesmartnothard.com/InstallShieldLimitedEditionForVisualStudio2010Walkthrough.aspx

I guess they lied.

Anyway I developed my game on an engine that a grad student created (in C++ as well), so I'm not sure if anything related to his engine is a runtime library. I hope not... :S

Anyway thanks for your help! Much appreciated!
0 Kudos
mgreco157
Level 3

Okay, thank you so much for your help, much appreciated!
0 Kudos