cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tlabbe
Level 2

patch design with multiple previous setups

I am working with a basic msi install.

I am trying to create a patch through the patch design. I have 3 setups the original setup(A) and two setups with fixes(B,C). When I create a patch with A as the previous setup and B as the latest setup everything works fine. When I create a setup to go from A(previous) to C(latest) or B(previous) to C(latest) everything works fine. However when I try to include A and B as previous setups and C as the latest setup the patch will work fine on B but will not work for A. The patch appears to run fine on A but nothing gets updated.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong any help would be great.

thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
mumbles
Level 7

Whew... that's a puzzle.

You may have to contact Flexara support for that one. Are you positive all versions are going in the right direction for B and C, relative to A?
0 Kudos
tlabbe
Level 2

I don't think I understand what you mean by going in the right direction. A was built before B and B before C.
0 Kudos
barron35
Level 3

Hi there. tlabbe, I believe mumbles is trying to make sure the versions of your packages go in increasing order. So, A is version 1, B version 2, etc.

The reason I'm butting in to the thread is because I have a question regarding best practice for the same scenario. Let's say I have 3 packages, a, b and c. I would like to create a patch to bring a up to b, not a problem. When I get to c, I'd like to be able to bring users of a and b up to c. Is it better to create one patch a->b and another b->c or set a and b as previous setups of c in one patch?

To possibly throw a wrench in the above answer, b and c need to make updates to a local sql database. Scripts will be provided for a->b and b->c, but not a->c. What is the best way to handle this? I'd like to do this in one patch, but what conditions would I use with my custom actions?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
FlappingCrane
Level 3

I am experiencing the same issue as tlabbe. I have version 1 and version 2 in the field. I wish to produce one patch to get both versions to v3. I can create one patch v1 to v2 that works, one patch v1 to v3, and one patch v2 to v3; but when I try to create one patch including both v1 & v2 as "Previous Setups" and v3 as "Current Setup", v1 to v3 fails while v2 to v3 succeeds.

Was there any resolution to this that someone can share? Thanks much.
0 Kudos