cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sasaurab
Level 3

not able to protect my folder and files after using permanent option

Jump to solution
Hi, I have enable the permanent in component properties.Still my installer is removing my folder and files. Also,tell me how to protect my files from deletion during the uninstallation of installer.
0 Kudos
(1) Solution

Hi @sasaurab,

As you said that a different project work fine, this means that there is some other configuration.

Few things that you can try...
Can you verify that, are there any custom action or script which is performing this delete explicitly?
The files which you want to protect are not generated dynamically?

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
(7) Replies
UtsabKarmakar
Level 5 Flexeran
Level 5 Flexeran

Hi sasaurab,

You can do that by setting the flag under Components > (your component) > General > Permanent = YES

Setting this flag will not uninstall your files under (your component).

Thanks

0 Kudos
Jenifer
Flexera Alumni

Hi @sasaurab ,

Can you verify the attributes value of component in component table(Using InstallShield-Direct Edit mode)of final MSI for which you had set Permanent property to "Yes"  to be 16?

The value of 16 would be for permanent,8 for permanent set to "No".

Thanks,

Jenifer

0 Kudos

Hi @sasaurab ,

As @Jenifer pointed out you can check the "Attribute" value in "Components" table but note that this value varies and depends on the properties that is set in the Components view , for example by default when a component is created in InstallShield  "Attribute" is set to 8 (as by default Components > General > Shared = YES ). And further setting Permanent = YES will change the "Attribute" value to 24. (ref: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/msi/component-table)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Hi, Thanks Both of you but i checked the component table the attribute is 24.Permanent=yes,shared=yes. Its not working.If you any other solution let me know.I have checked for different project its working.but In my project its not working ,The installshield configuration is done by some other person.This is my the requirement we need to protect the data during uninstallation,but its not working.Let me know if you have any other solution.
0 Kudos

Hi @sasaurab,

As you said that a different project work fine, this means that there is some other configuration.

Few things that you can try...
Can you verify that, are there any custom action or script which is performing this delete explicitly?
The files which you want to protect are not generated dynamically?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Hey,

I have checked ,it need to do change in custom script only.Thanks for your support

0 Kudos

@sasaurab Glad to help. Cheers Smiley Happy

0 Kudos