cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
avimail1
Level 3

needing to upgrade from InstallShield 12, looking for advise.

Hello

We lost our activation due to a drive failure and are required to upgrade.  Can anyone point out which version of InstallShield would be the easiest, due to short timeline to needing an install package built?  Is there a better one then another to upgrade to?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
Revenera_Ian
Revenera Moderator Revenera Moderator
Revenera Moderator

Hello @avimail1,

Thank you for your post.

If you are going to need technical support, because you're going to have a technical support contract (maintenance plan), then you will need upgrade to a supported InstallShield version. I recommend upgrading to the latest and greatest InstallShield version, which is InstallShield 2022 R2, especially if you need InstallShield integration with Visual Studio 2022 for a non-InstallScript project, such as a Basic MSI project.

Your best bet would be to contact us via our Contact Us Form at the following link:

https://www.revenera.com/about-us/contact-us

One of our Account Managers will reach out to you to discuss your best available options.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

0 Kudos

Thanks for the response Ian.  

How long would it take to get an install package created using the current InstallShield 12 support files, *.rul, etc to work in the newer version?  Or can't it happen that way?  We are not on Visual Studio 2022 yet, still 2005.  We are creating a install package for a VB6.0 exe with MSVC 2005, and crystal reports DLLs, plus a few others.  Thanks, Rich.

0 Kudos

You're welcome Rich (@avimail1). We're happy to help. Thank you for your reply.

It is difficult to say. The amount of time projects take to configure are on a case-by-case basis. What might make this project take longer to configure is that the project(s) is/are being upgraded from InstallShield 12. There were quite a few versions between InstallShield 12 and our latest InstallShield version, InstallShield 2022 R2, so there's not necessarily going to be a seamless upgrade.

There was InstallShield 12, InstallShield 2008, InstallShield 2009, InstallShield 2010, InstallShield 2011, InstallShield 2012, InstallShield 2012 Spring, InstallShield 2013, InstallShield 2014, InstallShield 2015, InstallShield 2016, InstallShield 2018, InstallShield 2019, InstallShield 2020, InstallShield 2021, and InstallShield 2022. That's quite a few versions, which can make upgrades challenging.

There are cases when starting from scratch with a new project turns out to be easier and faster, but that's at least partially a judgment call you'll have to make depending on the number of issues, if any, encountered after upgrading to a supported InstallShield version. It's tough to commit to a specific time frame with this. But hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.  Thanks, Ian.

0 Kudos

Hey Ian.  I definitely understand what you are saying.  Can you throw me some licensing information I can pass along to my management?  It will run on one server being used one installation package build at a time. 

Thanks

Rich

0 Kudos

Hey Rich (@avimail1).  Thanks for your understanding.  If you're referring to the pricing information, I don't have the licensing information, so your best bet would be to contact us via our Contact Us Form at the following link:

https://www.revenera.com/about-us/contact-us

One of our Account Managers will reach out to you to discuss your best available options.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks!

0 Kudos

Oh right Ian.  I was looking for a pricing ballpark.

Thanks

Rich

0 Kudos

Hey Ian, is it possible to upgrade to a earlier supported version that might be less upgrade hassle?  I know that is still an hard question to answer but wanted to ask everything at this point.  Thanks, Rich.

0 Kudos

Hey Rich (@avimail1) , no, it is not possible to upgrade to an earlier supported InstallShield version. The best available option is to purchase NEW, either InstallShield 2022 InstallShield Edition (formerly, InstallShield Professional Edition) or InstallShield 2022 Premier Edition.

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.  Thanks, Ian.

0 Kudos

Rich (@avimail1), I sent you this information via private message.  Let me know if you did not receive it.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks

Ian

0 Kudos