cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jsh_cv
Level 2

need to allow standard user to start/stop NT service on Vista

I have an InstallScript project that includes the installation of a Windows NT service. I want to be able to start and stop this service on a Vista-based platform as a standard user without the need for administrator privileges. Is there something I can set in the settings for the prepackaged InstallShield NT Service object that will allow me to do this? So far I've tried playing with a couple of the flags, but with no avail. The option in the services list for starting this service is still not available when I view it as a standard user.

Or does anyone know what else I can do? :confused:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Lurean
Level 8

you are running into a Windows Security issue. Standard users do not have the rights to install/ uninstall / start / stop NT services. Whoever is doing the install will have to have those rights or the install of the service will fail.
0 Kudos
jsh_cv
Level 2

Lurean, thanks for your quick reply. The one installing it will indeed be required to have administrator privileges, so that's no problem for me, but my question is about starting/stopping the service later on. Granted, the default is as you say, that a standard user does not have those rights by default. But the rights can be granted by modifying the service's DACL, as confirmed in the following article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Manage-services-in-Windows-Vista-from-Windows-Vista-Inside-Out

(See the section entitled, "Starting and Stopping services".)

And indeed, if you log in as a standard user, you will see that although some services don't let you start them, others do. So my question is, is there any way I can set this through InstallShield or do I need to come up with a way of doing it myself?
0 Kudos