cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mary_v
Level 6

multiple instance issue

hi,

i recently upgraded to is2010 premier, now i have some trouble with before working multiple instances...

when 2 instances are installed and i now want to install a major upgrade, only one instance is shown to be upgraded - there is no more choice for both as in is2009 ...

any ideas?

mary
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

The Multiple Instances dialog does not have the ability to show installed instances for major upgrades because the product codes are different between the base installation and the upgrade installation. I am assuming that your instance that is displayed in the Multiple Instances dialog has the same product code in the base installation and the upgrade installation. The behavior is not changed from IS 2009.

Regards.
0 Kudos
mary_v
Level 6

@hidenori,

ok, thanks for your reply.
Maybe you could give me a brief example. i should be able to upgrade "instanceid=0" and "instanceid=1" as major upgrade.

would it help, to set "Generate Package Code" to No and use always the same package code?

mary
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

You can install an instance from the Setup.exe command line as follows:

Setup.exe /instance= : specify which instance should be installed or uninstalled.
0 Kudos
mary_v
Level 6

maybe i didn't explain clearly enough.

i have following situation:

• a client-setup with two instances
  • both instances installed via the same msi-package, but from different locations (e.g. local folder, networkshare) (because of two different "main-installations" including my client-setup on different PCs)

now i have to update my client-setup msi-package. This is done via major-upgrade to previously uninstall an existing setup (yet to choose which instance) and "reinstall" with my updated msi-file.

i expected a dialog from where to choose instance1 (e.g. linking to local folder) or instance2 (e.g. linking to networkshare), but instead of this behaviour, my updated-msi file deinstalls both instances and reinstalls only instance1 (linking to the sourcepath from where this setup is launched)...

i can't live with minor updates because it won't use my updated msi-package.

any idea how to solve this problem?

mary
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Thank you for the clarification. In order to setup the Multiple Instance Major Upgrade correctly, you need to use a unique UpgradeCode for each instance, and use the "Products Sharing My Upgrade Code" option in the Upgrades view. If your instances share a same UpgradeCode, they all will be uninstalled when you apply the major upgrade to one of the instances. Please see this thread for more information.

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos