cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
csuarez
Level 3

modifying config file while installing

I have to modify a config file while installing with user inputs and I'm using the installshield basic msi project. I guess this can be done with xml file changes so I created a dialog with edit fields for these user inputs and associated the fields to properties but it's not clear how to associate the properties with values in my config. What is the way to do this?? This is the structure of my config file:

The user has to set values for color and shape. Maybe, is it better to use other kind of project?? Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
SteveLovell
Level 5

I always use text file changes, and set up the config file as follows

%color%
%shape%

Then set the text replace to search for *.config and replace the text %color% and %shape% with the input from your dialog box.

Hope this helps
0 Kudos
csuarez
Level 3

That's a good way, but I still can't link my properties in the fields of the dialog box, to the value in the "replace with" option of the text files changes. When the user inserts a value, the property value is not updated. How can I do this?? Is it an event of the control?? Help!!
0 Kudos
csuarez
Level 3

I found the problem. It was very simple, the property must be uppercase, otherwise it can't be recognized. I can use text file changes and xml file changes, both work fine. Sorry, I'm new using installshield. Thanks!!
0 Kudos