cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Roman1
Level 9

isdev.exe 2014 crash: Workaroud

The Microsoft update that has caused the issue is Microsoft security update (KB2962872) July 8.

MS14-037: Security update for Internet Explorer versions 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, and 11: July 8, 2014

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2962872.

You can uninstall this update as a temporary workaround and InstallShield should be able to launch again.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(11) Replies
engrchas
Level 2

We found the same issue this morning. We use several versions of the product and they all suffered from the update. We suspect that it has to do with communication to the IS license server.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Everyone, we are actively looking into the incompatibility with many versions of InstallShield and Microsoft's recent security update to IE (KB 2962872). Further information and updates will be available on the InstallShield 2014 Sticky.
0 Kudos
jwdzubak
Level 2

Just FYI. The problem exists all the way back to InstallShield 11. I know it's an old version, and no longer supported, but it still works well for us. It would be great if we could get it working again. (Without workarounds).
0 Kudos
mikeregester
Level 2

We are still using InstallShield 2011 Admin studio edition and working on going to 2014 in our QA environment. Removing security the patch is not an option in our production environment. Please post which htm files need to be removed for the InstallShield / Admin Studio products to work in the short run.
0 Kudos
JCorbett
Level 2

If you do uninstall this update, be sure to "hide" the update or it will reinstall when you restart your computer (requires restart to remove).

Jim
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

mikeregester wrote:
Please post which htm files need to be removed for the InstallShield / Admin Studio products to work in the short run.
We're trying to collect a definitive list today, at least for our most recent versions. Once we have that, I'll post it on the main sticky. Note that we consider removing the HTML to be a fallback option, as it will degrade the IDE experience, and may not prevent all crashes related to KB2962872, but it's certainly better than being unable to use InstallShield at all.

If you're tight on schedule, I have had partial success moving \Program\0409\*.htm to a backup folder. This is currently an unsupported option, but might get you up and running before we're ready to finalize an official method. It still crashes on close, and I have only proven the concept on my development machine (basically InstallShield 2014), but the strategy should apply to most versions of InstallShield. If you encounter problems with autorepair reintroducing the files, you could take the backup, then try copying blank.htm over the other htm files.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

We've just published an interim solution. You can restore your .htm files if you had removed them. Let us know if this doesn't get you up and running!
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

Microsoft has released new security update 2976627.

Does this patch resolve InstallShield crash issue ?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

It appeared to resolve it on the test scenario I was able to run. If you've installed our patch, you should be able to remove it once KB2976627 (or later?) is in place.
0 Kudos
Evan_Border
Level 8

Roman1 wrote:
Microsoft has released new security update 2976627.
Does this patch resolve InstallShield crash issue ?

Yes, the August 2014 Cumulative Internet Explorer update KB2976627 fixes the InstallShield Editor crashing issue.
0 Kudos
Roman1
Level 9

Yes. No more crash!
0 Kudos