cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anilkumar_mca
Level 8

is it possible to create a single installer for both 32 & 64Bit installer?

Hi,

Is it possible to create a common installer for 32Bit & 64Bit environments? if yes, will it increase the size of release media? Is it possible to do this in Basic MSI project?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

A 32-bit Windows Installer installation can successfully install on 64-bit systems, but only to 32-bit locations. If you need to support 64-bit locations and 32-bit systems, you either need multiple Windows Installer packages (see Heath Stewart's blog posting on that), or you need to use an alternate technology (such as InstallScript with conditional code).
0 Kudos
anilkumar_mca
Level 8

Hi MichaelU,

Thanks for your replay. Can you give any links for verification regarding to my question?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I'm not sure I understand your followup question. The blog post I referred to should be high in the results for this search: http://www.google.com/search?q=heath+stewart+multiple+packages

0 Kudos
alegerlotz
Level 7

You can, of course, use a single Basic MSI Project to generate the separate 32-bit and 64-bit packages using Release Flags to include/exclude features as appropriate for the particular platforms.
0 Kudos
MattQVI
Level 8

alegerlotz wrote:
You can, of course, use a single Basic MSI Project to generate the separate 32-bit and 64-bit packages using Release Flags to include/exclude features as appropriate for the particular platforms.

I am doing this in my basic MSI installer package but still get the build error -5008, "Intel64 or AMD64 must be specified in the template of the Summary Stream" when I try to build the 64-bit version of the install. Thoughts? Any help is greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos