cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pmcewan
Level 3

installutillib.dll unknown error 1001

I'm using the InstallShield 2012 LE Spring Edition for Visual Studio 2010, and I have a problem when it tries to register a service that I've included in the installation with an installer class. Sometimes it installs the service successfully and sometimes it returns installutillib.dll uknown error 1001. However, I can manually install with installutil. As a workaround, I think I can put a custom action in during the installation that will install the service. But, I can't see any way to do the same during the uninstallation. The only step that's available in the LE version is too late, because the files are already removed. Is there a service pack or hotfix for this issue? Or is there something else I can do?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Marek22
Level 5

Hello,
.NET Windows service installer class is using very fragile technology to install this services. The best practice is to use some higher Installshield version and configure windows service in Services tab.
The error 1001 is unhandled exception in .NET code. You should create blank .NET installer class(without designer), override the OnCommit method and add big try catch. In the catch you should display MessageBox with exception for debugging purposes. And write install logic inside OnCommit method. Also remember to uninstall your service.
http://blogs.flexerasoftware.com/installtalk/2012/11/using-installshield-to-create-an-installation-that-installs-windows-services.html

Hope it helps,
Marek
0 Kudos
pmcewan
Level 3

Marek,

Thanks for the info. I'll try what you suggest and see if it helps
0 Kudos