cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shlomi
Level 2

installscript vs basic MSI

I have a debate regarding installscipt VS basic MSI
I was told that if you plan to create installation for corporate deployment, it is recommended to work with basic MSI

I would like to know the benefit (if any) of basic MSI comparing installscript msi

do you know about problems when using installscript msi in corporate deployment?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
HenryL
Level 5

Here is some info about the project types: http://documentation.installshield.com/robo/projects/installshield16helplib/ProjectTypes_Determine.htm

One of the points kind of relates to your question:
•You want to maximize compatibility with administrative tools such as SMS, or if your software will be customized by corporate system administrators prior to deployment. The Basic MSI project type gives them the flexibility to create transforms for the installation package and its associated properties, without repackaging your installation.
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

As mentioned, if you are looking at creating an installation that will be deployed in enterprise environments, Basic MSI is the simplest option. If you need a high degree of customization in your setup, a pure InstallScript option is best suited for this task. In general, InstallScript MSI projects are not recommended due to the added complexity they introduce.
0 Kudos