cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gigolojoe
Level 4

installscript to create virtual dirs iis7

Hi,
Does anyone have installscript to create virtual dirs, app pools, and websites for IIS7?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The Internet Information Services view is provided in InstallScript projects to configure websites, applications, virtual directories, and application pools. You can use InstallScript textsubs with certain IIS items such as website, application, or virtual directory names to allow for dynamically naming or configuration based on user input if needed.
0 Kudos
gigolojoe
Level 4

Thanks for the information.
However when I use the IIS view only one of my five applications is being created. I'm running my install on a 2008 server with IIS 7. Is there any reason why my applications wouldn't be created? I'm not sure what else to do.
Thanks
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Unfortunately there aren't many troubleshooting options with IIS in InstallScript projects. Would it be possible for you to try reproducing this behavior in a sample project, if you are able to, and attach that project to this thread (the ISM and setup.rul would be needed)?

In general there aren't many reasons why a virtual directory or application would not be created, except if it already exists on a target machine. In this case, the IIS functionality does not change any settings of the existing item since it can't guarantee that making these changes would not break something already using that item on the IIS server. Besides this, errors related to the data tied to a virtual directory or application (such as the target physical directory) could cause something to fail. In InstallScript projects, such failures in IIS configuration do not prevent the installation from completing.

If you are able to reproduce this behavior in a sample project and provide this sample, we should be able to isolate what is causing this behavior and provide some solution when possible (assuming we can also reproduce the behavior with the sample).
0 Kudos
gigolojoe
Level 4

Hi Josh,
I think I found the problem. I have 5 applications each assigned to it's own component. When I run the install only the application at the top of the list got created. When I assigned them all to the same component and reran the install all the applications were created. Not sure if this is by design or a defect. Either way that is how I got around the problem of the applications not being created.
Thanks
Paul
0 Kudos