cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwreels
Level 5

installing sql express with localized service account names

I am converting an Installscript based project to a Basic MSI project. I need to install SQL Server Express using Local System as the service accounts. This install should work on nonEnglish OS's.

As I understand, the best way to install sql express is to use the prerequisites feature. The problem I have is that I have no way of specifying the localed service account name based on the operating system language.

Currently in the installscript project, I call a dll that looks up the localized name based on the sid. Any ideas on how to do this in the basic msi project? Am I going to have to create my own bootstrapper just for this functionality? Forgive me as I am new to msi installations. Any help would be grateful. Thanks in advance!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
jwreels
Level 5

I tried to install sql express with the default accounts and then I call a custom action that changes the service account to Local System. This created a new problem that sql server service would not start.

Anyone have any ideas on the best way to get sql server installed with the localized service account names? Should I create a small installscript project that just does checks, and installs sql server correctly, then have that project kick off the msi installer?
0 Kudos