cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
selwynreynolds
Level 7

install starts after uninstall

I posted this question the other day regarding an InstallScript MSI project. I created a new Basic MSI problem to test this action as I have not gotten a reply on the other post. The only thing my Basic MSI project does is install a couple of files and install a Windows Service. I used the Advanced Settings on the component to configure the service (it is very basic: Type: Win32 that runs in its own process, Interact with Desktop: yes, Start Type: Automatic, Error Control: Log the error, display the mesasge and continue). I do not give it a username, password or arguments. The installer installs the service correctly and starts it. When I run the project to uninstall the service, I get the "please wait... gathering required information..." dialog, then "please wait while windows configures Service" dialog, then "Preparing to install...." dialog appears and then the "Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard for..." dialog appears. This project never asked me to uninstall - though it did remove the service. I clicked cancel and then checked the box to "Show the Windows Install Log". The windows logs look exactly the same up until I cancelled the install. How can I get the service removed without the installer starting again?

Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

How are you launching the project again to uninstall? If you're running it from the InstallShield environment, you might be seeing the default "Uninstall then install" behavior; you can turn it off using Tools > Options > Preferences > Uninstall before installing.
0 Kudos