cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wolverine
Level 4

how can i install the custom prerequistes based on the user selection

I'm new to setup and deployment products so please help me in bringing out the Setup package for my application. Basically my application consists of two types of setup modes. Both have different prerequisites to be installed for running the application in defferent modes. I have developed setup packages using InstallScript MSI as Project Type for both types individually (using basic wizards) and also added prerequisites(Custom Prerequisites that are added using Redistributable views through Prerequisite editor tool). But I need the two projects setups in one project only so that user can select the required installation and only the concerned prerequisites to be installed and so on. But on my observation, prerequisites are setup specific but not feature specific and are being installed at the very start up of the setup. So how can i install the prerequistes required based on the user selection. Any help is appreciated
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
wolverine
Level 4

Hi,
Can any body look into my problem and help me out
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

That cannot be achieved for a single setup using InstallShields Setup Prerequisites as far as I know.

Instead of using Prerequisites you could create Features for them and then use InstallScript Code functions to select/deselect/show/hide those Features:
Therefore you could use FeatureSelectItem and/or FeatureSetData.

-Nick
0 Kudos
wolverine
Level 4

Thanks for your response.

Can you please explain me in brief how to use features instead of prerequistes. how can i convert the appication prerequistes as features and install them silently can you tell how to appraoch towards it as i'm new to installShield.
0 Kudos
wolverine
Level 4

hi
Can any body help me with any possible solutions.

Thanks
Ravikiran
0 Kudos
DLee65
Level 13

What you are requesting is more of an advanced procedure.

I cannot flesh out the entire code base for you but I will give you an idea of what to consider ... mind you this is ONLY one approach.

1. Create standard InstallScript installation that presents the entire UI for your setup.
2. Use the InstallScript code to install all the prerequisites.
3. After the InstallScript code has finished installing prerequisites then use LaunchAppAndWait("msiexec.exe", "SRCDIR ^ myMSI.msi /qb", LAAW_OPTION_NOWAIT);

After this call abort because we are really not concerned about keeping this InstallScript installation around. Make sure you comment out sections of code in OnFirstUIAfter that display the finish error dialog.

This is just one idea. I am sure there are other ways to handle this. In fact I wonder if single Installscript MSI could handle this. You just make sure to use LaunchAppAndWait to install your prerequisites before the execute sequence begins.
0 Kudos
jchristman
Level 8

A simple work around it to create both installers and then in a third project place both installers in the support folder. Ask for which feature they would like and only use radio buttons so they cannot install both and then from there execute the installation method of choice.
0 Kudos