cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
_llama_
Level 3

error : -6002: Error while attempting to run the custom build setup for objects.

Hello InstallShielders

Using 2012 Spring Limited edition, as part of Visual Studio, I get this error on building:

error : -6002: Error while attempting to run the custom build setup for objects.

But not all the time, only 50% of the time.

I'm building from CC.Net running as a service, which runs msbuild to build the .sln

It is most annoying. It is polluting our continual integration.

I searched the forum, and none of what comes up is relevant, i.e. are not using Access in any way.

There is no other information available in the log.

Not happy.

Mike
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

Have you tried building the same solution on any other machine?

Could you please kindly share us the build log to investigate further?

Thanks,
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos
_llama_
Level 3

Hi chiranjeevi,

I get this in the log (I've replaced the actual path with '!ROOT!')
[CODE]
InstallShield (R) Limited
Release Builder
Copyright 1997-2012 Flexera Software, Inc.
and/or InstallShield Co. Inc.
All Rights Reserved.
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\InstallShield\2012SpringLimited\InstallShield.targets : warning : -7235: InstallShield could not create the software identification tag because the Tag Creator ID setting in the General Information view is empty. [!ROOT!source\Installer\Installer\Installer.isproj]
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\InstallShield\2012SpringLimited\InstallShield.targets(96,3): error : 0: [!ROOT!source\Installer\Installer\Installer.isproj]
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\InstallShield\2012SpringLimited\InstallShield.targets(96,3): error : Exception Caught [!ROOT!source\Installer\Installer\Installer.isproj]
Done Building Project "!ROOT!source\Installer\Installer\Installer.isproj" (Rebuild target(s)) -- FAILED.
Done Building Project "!ROOT!source\build\build.proj" (Build target(s)) -- FAILED.

Build FAILED.

"!ROOT!source\build\build.proj" (Build target) (1) ->
"!ROOT!source\Installer\Installer\Installer.isproj" (Rebuild target) (7) ->
(Build target) ->
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\InstallShield\2012SpringLimited\InstallShield.targets : warning : -7235: InstallShield could not create the software identification tag because the Tag Creator ID setting in the General Information view is empty. [!ROOT!source\Installer\Installer\Installer.isproj]

"!ROOT!source\build\build.proj" (Build target) (1) ->
"!ROOT!source\Installer\Installer\Installer.isproj" (Rebuild target) (7) ->
(Build target) ->
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\InstallShield\2012SpringLimited\InstallShield.targets(96,3): error : 0: [!ROOT!source\Installer\Installer\Installer.isproj]
C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\InstallShield\2012SpringLimited\InstallShield.targets(96,3): error : Exception Caught [!ROOT!source\Installer\Installer\Installer.isproj]

1 Warning(s)
2 Error(s)
[/CODE]

On other machines this is OK.

Yes it appears to only happen on this machine - however this is the only machine that we tend to build the installer on - it does nto get built much on other machines
0 Kudos
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

Thank you for providing the build log.

I suspect the issue might be with installshield.targets file , to resolve the issue you may try below:

Does your InstallShield.targets file (C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\InstallShield\2012SpringLimited\InstallShield.targets) have the correct value populated for the InstallShieldPath property? It should point to the ISLE system folder, probably something like this:
Code:C:\Program Files (x86)\InstallShield\2012SpringLE\System.This (and equivalents with slightly different paths for other editions of our product) is required for MSBuild to work.

and

Open the installshield.targets file with notepad and edit the part with Target Name = AfterGet, remove the readonly(using -r) attribute of the file, save the file, then build the project.

you can also try any of the fix provided in below article:
http://consumerdocs.installshield.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=Q110646&sliceId=1

Thanks,
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos
_llama_
Level 3

Hi,

It is pointing to the right place.

I assume that if this was incorrect the result would be never building, instead of building only sometimes, which is the problem I have.

I tried the suggestions in the link too

still have the problem

Mike
0 Kudos
_llama_
Level 3

Any more ideas?

Its not workable at the moment and we think we will drop InstallShield. I am not sure why Microsoft are recommending the use of InstallShield for VisualStudio 2012. I mean I know this is a 'free' tool but I assume the idea is that it leads people into the paid for products? In which case I struggle to see how that is going to be successful. The quality is not there in my opinion and if this is indicative of the full version, I would want my money back. This is not the only problem we have had a few others including:

- Installshield does not understand relative file paths. Workaround: manually edit the installer file to replace the paths with '<ISProjectFolder>' whenever a file is added. I mean seriously.

- Pre-condition check for .net 4.5 incorrect and not working, have to add a custom one

- Have to manually add/edit files for the .net 4.5 redistribution

And now this problem which is worse of all in that our build is not repeatable. Something pretty fundamental for a software team.
0 Kudos
_llama_
Level 3

Still not working - any other things to try?

I'm not getting a good feeling about quality, something smells bad. I mean, even your forum just lost my post! I think I'm going to get us to switch away from installshield.
0 Kudos
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

Could you please kindly share us the sample project to investigate further?

Thank you,
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos
_llama_
Level 3

Hi,

I would like to send the project file to you, however it contains confidential information, so I am unable to do so.

I tried to reproduce using a dummy install, but I could not.

I think this is at a dead end.

In the mean time I have switched to Wix. I would recommend that people use this instead. It is much more difficult, but the time taken to get started with Wix is about the same as the time you will spend figuring out how to workaround the faults and short comings of InstallShield LE that you will inevitably meet. At least the error messages are helpful.

_llama_
0 Kudos
chiranjeevi
Level 7 Flexeran
Level 7 Flexeran

Hello,

Sorry for the frustration.

We are interested to debug this further to provide a possible resolution, but for that we would need a replicable sample project.

However, if your policy demands, we could sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement.

Thanks,
Chiranjeevi
0 Kudos