cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nrfnrfnrf
Level 3

error 1722 from simplest of .exe custom actions

having tried more complex custom executable actions with no success, I trimmed down to the ultimate lite executable - true.exe
all it does is return a zero exit code, verified via cmd line check of %errorlevel%.

logging of /l*v file gives:

[CODE]
MSI (s) (80:50) [12:16:29:254]: Set LastUsedIndex to: 1.
MSI (s) (80:50) [12:16:29:255]: Executing op: ActionStart(Name=set_registry,,)
Action 12:16:29: set_registry.
MSI (s) (80:50) [12:16:29:260]: Executing op:
CustomActionSchedule(Action=set_registry,ActionType=3090,Source=I:\DD_NMCEXX01_APP01\Program
Files\NMCE\ISstubs\true.exe,Target=true.exe,)
CustomAction set_registry returned actual error code -1073741515 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside
sandbox)
MSI (s) (80:50) [12:16:29:508]: Note: 1: 1722 2: set_registry 3: I:\DD_NMCEXX01_APP01\Program Files\NMCE\ISstubs\true.exe 4: true.exe
Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.
Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action set_registry, location: I:\DD_NMCEXX01_APP01\Program
Files\NMCE\ISstubs\true.exe, command: true.exe
MSI (s) (80:50) [12:16:36:138]: Product: tryinstaller -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A
program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action set_registry,
location: I:\DD_NMCEXX01_APP01\Program Files\NMCE\ISstubs\true.exe, command: true.exe

Action ended 12:16:36: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
MSI (s) (80:50) [12:16:36:152]: User policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0
MSI (s) (80:50) [12:16:36:152]: Machine policy value 'DisableRollback' is 0[/CODE]

I would appreciate any help with this, it seems you are my only hope! :confused:
nrf
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(9) Replies
RakeshXP
Level 5

If there is no command line switch required to run your executable then keep the command line field empty from your custom action.
0 Kudos
nrfnrfnrf
Level 3

RakeshXP wrote:
If there is no command line switch required to run your executable then keep the command line field empty from your custom action.

sorry, already tried that. why should it matter?
tried tons of things and see this as totally unworkable 'feature'.
as in 'not fit for use'

doesn't instill confidence in the 'real product' if this cut down one doesn't even behave as advertised.
0 Kudos
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

CustomAction set_registry returned actual error code -1073741515

Looks like your exe actually doesn't return 0. At least not when called from your setup.
If you don't care about the exit code of your exe, you can set the custom action to ignore exit code.
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos
nrfnrfnrf
Level 3

Stefan Krueger wrote:
Looks like your exe actually doesn't return 0. At least not when called from your setup.
If you don't care about the exit code of your exe, you can set the custom action to ignore exit code.

of course it 'looks like'. but exit(0) is the only line in the code.
I whittled down to a tiny test case to show that this is not working.
once someone tells me what is wrong I will put in the exe I want.

please read initial post!

I am actually trying to kick off some perl scripts and .bat commands and all I do gets this failure so I submitted this test case
as the way to remove as many arguments and finger pointings as possible
0 Kudos
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

I did read your initial post.

Searching for the error code in hex form (0xC0000135) results in some posts indicating the following error message for this code: "The application failed to initialize properly". The cause is that the .NET Framework is missing. Does your test.exe require the .NET Framework for some reason? And is it present on your test machine? If Windows can't even launch your exe, then this would explain why it doesn't get to your exit(0).

Or maybe running a tool like ProcessMonitor from SysInternals can help understand why Windows Installer sees a different result.
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos
Stefan_Krueger
Level 9

Does your test.exe require the .NET Framework for some reason? And is it present on your test machine?

... or any other dependency? You could check with Dependency Walker.
Stefan Krueger
InstallSite.org
0 Kudos
nrfnrfnrf
Level 3

Stefan Krueger wrote:
... or any other dependency? You could check with Dependency Walker.

prereq checker is supposed to do this before copying files in.
note that even notepad.exe etc would result in same 1722 or 1721.

changed some config and com options in the installshield project and even notepad now works.

thanks for your efforts, will be hard to root this one out.
keeping fingers crossed that it stays away :eek:
0 Kudos
Kelter
Level 10

Is the action scheduled to run sometime after InstallFiles?
0 Kudos
Kelter
Level 10

Wow... I've never seen a topic on here hot enough that replies roll in while I'm typing.

Glad you got it to work.

If the settings for your application require COM registration or something then that could certainly have caused the problem, especially if you were testing the simple executable on your local machine, and testing the installation on a QA machine.

Good luck. I hope you get to the bottom of it, and if you do, please update teh thread with your findings.
0 Kudos